Marcus releases plans for ‘Team Iowa’

Marty Forth

Jay Marcus, Republican candidate in Iowa’s 3rd District race for Congress, has released preliminary plans for a program called Team Iowa. This organization will assemble various advisers from around the state to help the congressional office become more self-sufficient.

The basic philosophy of Marcus’ plan is that no one person can independently and effectively analyze all the important issues. Therefore, through Team Iowa, Marcus plans to increase his ability to analyze funding proposals and proposed policies that are encountered daily by a U.S. Representative.

Marcus plans to hire a professional staff that would form a team of advisers to the Third District Congressional office, in addition to the regular office staff. Instead of a normal slate of “political wannabees or professional spin doctors,” Marcus said the committee would include residents from around the state, university faculty, business experts, agricultural experts, students and a variety of other specialists.

Nicole Johnson, president of the College Republicans at Iowa State, is one of many people that have been asked to be a member of the Team Iowa Advisory Council.

“Students play an important role,” Marcus said, “which is why I am especially pleased that Nicole and other students are joining.”

Other members of the advisory board include Mack Shelley, ISU professor of statistics and political science and researcher of gerontology issues, and Marty Miller, ISU professor of sociology and criminal justice and director of the university’s criminal justice studies program.

Another adviser from the Ames area is Norman Rudi, member of the Board of Directors of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.

“Marcus got different people involved for different reasons, and in different capacities,” Shelley said.

When asked if he felt that the advisory council was partisan-based, Shelley said, “I don’t even know what Marcus’ platform includes. That was not an issue when he asked me to be a member of Team Iowa.”

Marcus agreed.

“This group of advisers is different from the ordinary list of supporters that a candidate typically assembles,” he said in a press release. “This group is supporting an idea, and in some instances, I haven’t asked if they are also supporting me as a candidate.”

The committee is a “tri-partisan” group of all different political thoughts. It includes Republicans, Democrats and others, all brought together to provide a broad range of experience, guidance and a variety of viewpoints.

Most of the members of the council have not been informed of the various topics they will be asked to assess. However, they have all accepted a spot on the council.

“I believe that the Team Iowa Advisory Council is still in the embryo stages of development,” Miller said. “We have had no meetings yet, but they are supposed to begin soon.”