Achievements of elementary, high school students displayed at Scheman today

Renee Sievers

The 26th annual conference of the Iowa Educational Media Association (IEMA) at the Scheman Building will honor the achievements of Iowa’s elementary and secondary school students today.

“This is a great way to recognize kids working in a variety of media,” said Mary Jo Langhorne, president of the IEMA.

A student media festival displaying projects of 48 students in grades K-12 will be held Saturday, Langhorne said.

The showcase will comprise animation, computer programming, computer multimedia, live action video and photography.

The projects will be judged and the winners, accompanied by their parents and teachers, will be honored in a ceremony.

Among the featured speakers at the conference will be renowned children’s author Barbara Robinson, who will receive the 1997 Iowa Children’s Choice Award Friday. Robinson is receiving the award for her book “The Best School Year Ever.”

The winner of the award is selected from children who vote for their favorite author after reading books from a selected list, Langhorne said.

Robinson will speak about her experiences in writing the book and dealing with the media.

All events for the three-day conference will be held in the Scheman Building and will start today at 10 a.m. with speaker Dr. Annette Lamb.

Lamb will speak on “Wondering, Wiggling and Weaving: Exploring How Kids Learn With the Internet.”

The 45-minute presentation will introduce kids to appropriate ways of using the Internet, Langhorne said, adding that, “It is a big, powerful tool.”

Later in the day, a pre-conference consisting of Powerpoint presentations, State of Iowa Libraries On-Line (SILO) and networking will be held.

“It will be an opportunity for people to come and improve their skills in some area,” she said.

Two keynote speakers involved in education will be discussing changes in schools, Langhorne said.

Dr. Gene Hall, professor at the University of Northern Colorado, will speak on “Challenge of Implementing Change,” and Dr. Lynn Milet, professor at Kutztown University in Pennsylvania, will speak on “Agile Education Limbering up for the 21st Century.”

IEMA, sponsor of the annual meeting, will present a newly designed and updated logo on Saturday.

IEMA is a professional organization of K-12 media specialists in the state.

The goal of its 500 members is to promote literacy and lifelong learning in the children of Iowa’s schools, according to an association press release.