Multicultural center would be open to all

Melissa A. Kacalanos

“I wish we could get past the notion of every culture having to have their own history month, their own holidays and their own buildings.” That’s a quote from John Ohlfest in his letter to the Daily, published March 23.

Yeah, it’s a great idea to forbid people from celebrating their own holidays. Allow people religious freedom, and next thing you know, they’ll be demanding other special rights, like freedom of the press and freedom of assembly. That’s un-American! Sure, John, let’s forbid people from practicing their religions. Let’s start with you.

Mr. Ohlfest wrote his letter in response to plans to build a multicultural center. He seems to be laboring under the misconception that multicultural means “for minorities only.” If people wanted to build a building for minorities only, they would call it “The Minorities-Only Building.” They’re calling it the “Multicultural Center” for a reason. The purpose of the multicultural building is to serve as a place where various cultural events can take place. I’ve never heard any organizer suggest that whites would be barred from the premises. If it’s built, I certainly plan to attend many events there, whether they are of my culture or not. In fact, I’d take advantage of every opportunity to experience different cultures right here in Ames. It would save me airfare.

I’m not sure what particular cultures and events would be showcased in the proposed multicultural center. I personally would like music, dance, art and food from all different cultures. Maybe there could be a series of foreign movies (subtitled in English, please).

Of course, the multicultural center should focus on cultures which are under-represented in Ames. I’ve heard some people say that the multicultural center had better focus mainly on the culture of straight, white, Christian Iowans because that’s what the average student is. But the culture of straight, white, Christian Iowans is readily available in Campustown. Do you really think that a multicultural center should provide the exact same things to students? Should it show the same Hollywood movies and serve the same burgers and fries? Should it have fashion shows featuring average-looking models in baseball caps, jeans and Carhartt jackets?

“All buildings on a truly equal campus should not be for a specific cultural background, but for anyone who wants to use it.” That’s another quote from Mr. Ohlfest’s letter. I hope he realizes that the proposed multicultural center would be a truly equal-opportunity building, where everyone is welcome, including him.

Melissa A. Kacalanos

Graduate student

Genetics