Students ease into college life with help of classes

Melodie Demulling

Both freshmen and upperclassmen remember the anxiety accompanying their arrival at Iowa State, including facing thousands of unfamiliar faces and finding out about campus.

To ease the transition for incoming freshmen, many of ISU’s colleges will offer summer programs this year.

In June, following a student’s final decision to attend ISU, incoming freshmen participate in a two-day orientation program.

At the orientation, students are introduced to college living by participating in tours of the campus and group activities.

On the second day of the orientation, students are grouped by their colleges and specific majors. Students also get the opportunity to visit advisers and schedule classes.

More extensive summer orientation programs are offered by the seven colleges for freshmen who want a more in-depth observation of ISU.

The College of Engineering offers a Summer Bridge program, which is an eight-week camp that eligible students with potential engineering majors can attend.

The university covers tuition and room and board costs of the program, while students must provide transportation and spending money.

Students take credit courses in English and math through the Summer Bridge program, as well as many non-credit courses which cover basics in engineering.

Jennifer Leslie, coordinator of the LEAD program, which is a co-founder of the Summer Bridge program, said many students adjust to ISU with the help of peer mentors.

The peer mentor program involves pairing freshmen with older students in the same area of study. The mentor keeps in contact with the the freshman student via e-mail and phone. The objective of the mentor is to be available to the student to help with questions and concerns throughout the first semester.

Carver Academy is another program available for incoming freshmen, which caters to transfer students who have questions about attending a new school.