Speaker says burnout inevitable for some

Melodie Demulling

Dealing with the daily grind of classes and other commitments means inevitable burnout for some students, according to a speaker for the Student Activities Center.

On Tuesday, the center hosted two informational meetings titled “How to Cope with Burnout and Stress,” featuring guest speaker Judd Harbin, pre-doctoral psychology intern at Iowa State.

Harbin first covered the basics of stress and stress management, saying that stress is a normal part of everyday life.

“We have to have a minimum amount of stress in our lives to keep us active and alert,” he said.

Harbin noted that symptoms of too much stress include fatigue, random bursts of emotion, lack of attention, headaches, insomnia and irritability.

He then explained the hexadimensional model of stress, which involves six key points or pressures where people feel stress.

The model ranges from social, vocational and moral stress to more in-depth stressors, such as biological, cognitive and emotional stress, Harbin said.

He said stress has more to do with attitude than with actual stressors.

“It is not the events themselves, like tests and friends, that are stressful, but how people think about them and interpret the stress into themselves,” he said.

He said 60 percent of health complaints are due to stress, and that under extreme anxiety the body’s immune system is unable to heal as fast.

Stress also induces a variety of other problems, such as hyperarousal, a constant state of stress that leads to memory and concentration problems, he said.

Harbin offered some suggestions for minimizing stress and welcomed ideas from the audience. He said people must be aware of their limits and emphasized that students should practice good time management skills.

He added that regular relaxation, proper nutrition and plenty of sleep, as well as exercise, taking breaks and balancing work and play are all stress reducers.

A highlight of Harbin’s lecture included a relaxation technique in which the sound of his voice lulled audience members into a state of deep relaxation.

After the demonstration, many people said they felt refreshed and rested.

Students who are concerned with stress can attend a management group, which meets every Monday from 4:15 to 5:25 p.m. in Room 379 of the Student Services Building. For discussion topics, call 294-5056.

The Student Activities Center also offers other informational meetings. The next presentation, “Passing the Torch Smoothly,” focuses on the transition of changing officers in student groups. Two meetings about the topic will take place at 1 and 7 p.m. on March 21 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.