LAS dean will be chosen in the upcoming weeks

Darcie Brown

Iowa State’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will soon find itself under the guidance of a new dean.

The selection process is now underway with the appointment of a special search committee.

Members of the committee are responsible for meeting with applicants for interviews and for delivering a recommendation to Provost John Kozak and President Martin Jischke.

Jischke and Kozak have the final say in the appointment of the new dean.

George Knaphus, LAS Council adviser, said the committee’s job includes giving advice to Kozak and Jischke regarding the applicants.

Richard Ross, chairman of the search committee, said staff members, faculty and one graduate student comprise the committee.

He said faculty members on the committee represent a range in the academic ranks.

Students also have the opportunity to provide input for a new dean, Ross said.

Each of the four applicants recently visited the ISU campus to hold an open forum and discussion about campus diversity issues, and students were welcome to hear the applicants speak.

Following the forum, students could fill out an evaluation to voice their opinions.

Ross said in order to be appointed LAS dean, a candidate must be from one of the college’s discipline areas.

The candidate also must be a distinguished scholar and must demonstrate leadership, strong management and human relation skills.

“We want someone who is bright, gets along with people, thinks well, is of good character and can make decisions that aren’t always easy to make,” Knaphus said.

He said the LAS dean is responsible for raising money and supporting the departments and faculty within the college.

“The main responsibility is to administer the college,” Knaphus said.

He added that all of the finalists are credible candidates.

Knaphus said the decision to appoint a new dean is expected to be made within the next few weeks.

The four finalists seeking the dean position include Sandra Greer, Howard Grotch, Frederick Rudolph and Herman Saatkamp Jr.