News briefs

Daily Staff Writer

The city of Ames will be testing its emergency sirens today at 10:15 a.m. as part of a statewide exercise for Severe Weather Awareness Week, which is being held March 23-27.

Citizens are encouraged to review and update their emergency plans for a severe storm, tornado or flooding.

In addition, the city will activate its sirens on the first Wednesday of each month from April through October at 10 a.m.

These dates are: April 1, May 6, June 3, July 1, Aug. 5, Sept. 2 and Oct. 7.

In the event of inclement weather, tests will be postponed in order to avoid confusion.

If the National Weather Service issues a tornado warning, the city will sound its tornado sirens.

If it is followed by a second blast on the horn, citizens should be advised that there is an extreme necessity to take cover.

No “all-clear” siren is used in Ames.

Residents are asked not to call 911 after a siren sounds so that phone lines may be kept open for emergencies.

A grant totaling nearly $100,000 from W.K. Kellogg Foundation will allow two students and faculty members from Iowa State to attend the Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences national conference.

MANRRS national conference, to be held in Des Moines April 1-4, promotes the agricultural sciences and related professions among underrepresented groups.

About 500 people are expected to attend the 13th annual MANRRS national meeting, which will be hosted by ISU’s MANRRS chapter.

W.K. Kellogg Foundation, Battle Creek, Mich. is providing $99,760 to the 29 institutions often referred to as the “1994 land-grant colleges” to attend the conference.

“The conference provides an avenue for MANRRS members to establish contacts with other students, faculty members and people working in agriculture-related jobs in business and the government,” said conference coordinator Mary de Baca of the ISU College of Agriculture, in a press release.

The grant will enable 116 students and faculty from colleges that primarily serve Native Americans to attend the conference.

On April 2, many conference attendees will be bused to Ames to tour ISU’s agricultural facilities and visit faculty and staff.

They also will participate in a program that honors ISU alumnus and famous African American scientist George Washington Carver.

ISU MANRRS chapter, formed in 1990, is made up of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and professionals.

Diabetes screening — The Student Health Center is holding a screening for diabetes for ISU students March 23-31 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Students may test in Room 2015 of the Student Health Center.

Information such as names, addresses and phone numbers must be included on the test if a follow-up is needed.

1998 GM College Grad Program — GM is announcing its 14th annual GM College Grad Program, which offers eligible college graduates a $400 certificate toward the purchase or lease of any new Chevrolet, Pontiac or GMC vehicle, when they qualify and finance through a participating Chevrolet, Pontiac or GMC dealer.

Graduate students, students who are about to graduate and graduated students may apply.

No credit history is required, and students may choose from three financing options.

For more information concerning the program and participation, call 1-800-964-GRAD or visit www.gmgrad.com.

Measles immunizations — will be held on the first floor of the Student Health Center this week.

The immunization costs $23 and may be placed on students’ university bills.

In addition, tuberculosis skin testing is required for all international students at ISU.

Students may be tested on the first floor of the Student Health Center on March 24 from 1 to 4 p.m.