Bond issue for ice rink to be voted on today

Kate Kompas

After months of hype, the chance finally has come for Iowa State students and Ames residents to cast their ballots for or against the proposed ice arena.

A vote on the bond issue concerning the ice arena will be held today, with polls open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

ISU already has promised to put up $2 million for the rink if the city of Ames pays the additional $1.7 million of the bill.

The actual ballot reads, “Shall the city of Ames in Story County, Iowa, issue its bonds in an amount not exceeding the amount of $1.7 million for the purpose of paying the cost, to that extent, of constructing and equipping a recreation building consisting of a single surface ice skating facility in and for the city?”

For the measure to pass, 60 percent of the voters must vote yes.

The arena, according to some like ISU hockey Coach Al Murdoch and Ames activist groups like Ice is Nice, is falling apart.

It also has been labeled by some as “the worst arena in the league.”

Judy Emmons, Story County auditor and commissioner of elections, said although the reaction to the bond issue has been positive, she does not know if there will be a good voter turnout.

Emmons did note there has been an increase in the number of registered voters.

She said out of the 560 absentee ballots, 302 have been returned.

“There could be … turnout at the polls tomorrow if the students want,” she said.

Although the date for registration is long overdue, those who remembered to register will have the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Polling places in precincts with large student populations:

• Ward 2, Precinct 5 (includes University and Schilletter Villages) — University Village, Bldg. 100.
  • Ward 2, Precinct 2 (includes Hawthorn Village and Maple-Willow-Larch Halls) — Maple Hall lounge.
  • Ward 4, Precinct 5 (includes Birch-Welch-Roberts, Barton-Lyon-Freeman-Fisher/Nickell, Oak-Elm and Linden Halls and the east side of campus) — Pammel Recreation Hall.
  • Ward 4, Precinct 3 (includes Friley Hall and areas west to Franklin Avenue, but not Helser or Westgate Halls) — Design Center, Room 181-1.
  • Ward 4, Precinct 4 (includes Helser and Westgate Halls) — Collegiate Presbyterian Church, Sheldon Avenue and West Street.
  • Ward 3, Precinct 4 (includes residences south of Lincoln Way, north of College Creek and west of Franklin Avenue) — ACTORS Bldg., 120 Abraham Drive.
  • Ward 3, Precinct 3 (includes residences near Hayward Avenue, Coconino Road and Pi¤on Drive) — Collegiate United Methodist Church, 2622 Lincoln Way.
  • Ward 3, Precinct 5 (includes Towers Residence Association and residences near Little Bluestem Court) — Wallace-Wilson Commons.
  • Ward 3, Precinct 2 (includes the greek system north of Knapp and Greeley Streets) — Memorial Lutheran Church, 2228 Lincoln Way.
  • Ward 3, Precinct 1 (includes the greek system south of Knapp and Greeley Streets and residences near Big Bluestem Court, Pearson Avenue, Kildee Street, Airport Road, the Vet Med complex and the White Oak subdivision) — Vet Med complex, Room 2142, use parking lot 96.