Program grows in LEAPS and bounds

Jennifer Tomlinson

Although it’s still in the beginning stage of development at Iowa State, the LEAP program is already drawing positive student feedback.

“The student response … has been very strong,” said Marisela Rosas, LEAP director.

LEAP stands for Leadership Enrichment Action Program, and Rosas said the purpose of the program is to help students enhance their leadership skills on various levels.

The program was first given publicity at the beginning of spring semester through fliers and announcements sent to the residence halls and greek houses, she said.

The program, which is co-sponsored by the Student Activities Center and the Student Union Board, began on Feb. 19 and is scheduled to conclude April 9. Rosas said the program will start again next fall semester after being publicized at WelcomeFest and ClubFest.

The program is divided into three progressive group levels: Cardinal, Gold and Cyclone. Cardinal level is the beginning level of the program, and it aids individuals in assessing personal strengths and weaknesses in relation to leadership skills.

The Gold level deals with leadership skills in organizational settings such as the classroom. She said the Cyclone level focuses on the individual’s ability to take direction of the decisions that affect their lives on both a short- and long-term basis.

Rosas also said that LEAP is a version of The Undergraduate Leadership Intern Program (TULIP) that previously existed at ISU.

Because LEAP is just starting out as an independent program, Rosas said the group’s leaders and coordinators are relying heavily on student input. “We’re basically putting the program in students’ hands,” she said

Ben Golding, LEAP Cardinal group leader, said some of the topics discussed by the students in his group have included time and conflict management.

Besides providing a forum where individuals can discuss issues that relate to leadership skills, Golding said the program allows participants to take leadership evaluations.

“The idea is to break down into small groups and analyze leadership on an individual basis,” he said.

As for the overall aim of the course, Golding said, “We’re giving people the training it takes to be a leader.” He added that it is then up to the individual to take the knowledge from the program and apply it to everyday life.

Both Golding and Rosas said they see the program expanding in the near future. “I see a lot more people getting involved in it,” Golding said.