New program helps students sharpen leadership skills

Emily Graham

Iowa State students can sharpen their leadership skills through a new program this spring.

Leadership Enrichment Action Program (LEAP) is designed for students interested in improving not only their leadership qualities, but interpersonal and organizational skills as well.

“LEAP is actually a redesigning of TULIP [The Undergraduate Leadership Intern Program],” said Laura Bestler, program coordinator of LEAP.

“The Student Leadership Assessment Committee [SLAC] reviewed TULIP and decided LEAP is a better program. They wanted something for each level that could be done throughout one’s college career,” Bestler said.

There are three levels of LEAP, but only two will be offered at ISU this year.

Cardinal, LEAP’s first level, focuses on “emerging leaders.”

Cardinal members will be required to attend six sessions dealing with personal leadership assessment, time and stress management and diversity.

They also will discuss values, ethics, service, communication, decision-making and reflection.

Gold, the second level, will build on skills learned in level one.

Level two sessions will focus on group dynamics, conflict resolution and crisis management.

Members also will discuss ethics and values.

Cyclone, the third level, combines the extensive training of LEAP with preparation for graduation.

In level three, Cyclone members will develop a leadership portfolio, create a life plan and work with a leadership mentor.

This level, however, is not offered at ISU this year.

“Cyclone can be a one- or two-year experience, depending on the student’s needs and interests,” Bestler said.

All three levels are required to participate in a community service project.

“The service project this year will be involved with Veishea, but next year the students will develop their own philanthropy projects based on their interests,” Bestler said.

To begin as a Gold member this year, participants must be involved in Leadership ISU or must be a former TULIP participant.

Students who have held a leadership position for at least two semesters, or who obtain a written letter of recommendation, are also eligible.

In the future, graduates of LEAP’s level one program also will be accepted.

Criteria to qualify for level three includes a LEAP Gold alumnus status, the completion of a self-assessment and a junior, senior or graduate student classification.

After the completion of each level, participants are honored at a recognition program.

Another option for juniors this year involves becoming a LEAP Leader.

“LEAP Leaders help facilitate discussions after the required meetings,” Bestler said.

Three informational meetings will be held Monday.

Two meetings will take place in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to noon and 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Another meeting will be held from noon to 1 p.m. in the Gold Room.

Students may pick up applications in Room B6 of the Student Activities Center in the Memorial Union.

Bestler encouraged students to take advantage of the opportunity.

“This is a really great opportunity for students to meet people and to develop their interpersonal and leadership skills,” she said.