‘Roofies’ introduced to U.S. as early as 1970s

Marty Forth

Roach, Roofies, the forget pill, rope, rophies, ruffies, R2, la roach, trip and fall and mind-erasers — what do these names mean?

All are associated with Rohypnol, a brand name for fluintrazepam, a very potent tranquilizer, similar in nature to valium, but up to 10 times stronger.

The drug is not manufactured or approved for medical use in the United States and has become a tool for rapists who spike drinks of unsuspecting victims, and then rape them. Cases involving both males and females have been reported.

Because of the rise in nationally reported incidents of Roofies-related date rape, the Iowa State Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils are in the planning stages of an education session for ISU students to be held tentatively on March 14.

“There is obviously a problem with society, and more specifically with unscrupulous people that use these types of drugs to prey on others,” said Jason Nyhus, member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity and vice president of educational programming for the IFC.

“We want to give people at Iowa State the knowledge to protect themselves from people who would use Rohypnol or other types of drugs to abuse them,” he said.

When used, Rohypnol is odorless, colorless, tasteless and causes a sedated feeling within 15 minutes which may last up to 36 hours.

Typical symptoms include amnesia, muscle relaxation, a feeling of well being, loss of motor skills, memory impairment, drowsiness and often confusion.

Besides the worries of unprotected or unwanted sex, Rohypnol, when mixed with other drugs and alcohol, may lead to respiratory depression, aspiration and even death.

If Rohypnol is taken repeatedly, it may lead to physical and psychological dependence.

Reports of women who have awoken while being raped, or have evidence but no memory of the incident, are growing in number.

In Texas and Florida, there are reports of gangs using the drug to rape minors or tourists. With many college students traveling south for spring break, the concern continues to grow.

A two milligram dose can put a person in an excited, disinhibited state, giving way to amnesia. Women in this state are a prime target of abuse and often rape.

It is expected that the distribution and abuse of Rohypnol will continue to increase across the United States. The amount of fluintrazepam being imported into the country has increased, which in turn increases street sales.

The Drug Enforcement Agency continues to monitor the reported use of Rohypnol and is attempting to reduce the threat of its availability in the United States.

The drug is available in 64 countries, often prescribed for insomnia or used as a pre-anesthetic. Rohypnol is readily-available in Mexico.

The U.S. Border Patrol in McAllen, Texas, seized more than 57,000 tablets hidden inside a car door when the driver was attempting to cross the Mexican border.

Historically, illicit use of Rohypnol was reported in Europe as early as the late 1970s.

Florida and Texas police sources say Roofies was first seen in the United States in the early 1990s.

Rohypnol’s popularity has been found at parties, night clubs and rave dances when it is taken for the euphoric, drunken-like high it creates.

When sold illegally, Rohypnol costs anywhere from $1 to $5 per tablet.

In 1996, the Poison Control Center in Miami documented more than 100 Rohypnol-associated rapes, with another 200 rapes possibly related to the drug.

The government has taken heed of the increase in reportable incidents involving Rohypnol.

U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno launched a national campaign this fall in an effort to warn college students about the dangers of this so-called “date rape drug.”

The following are the campaign’s safety tips:

• Try to go to a party or event with a friend; be accountable to each other.
  • Accept only closed-container drinks; recognize that Rohypnol can be used in both alcohol and non-alcohol beverages.
  • Stand with your hand over your drink when you are not drinking.
  • Never leave an opened drink with someone, even a friend.
  • If you put your drink down and leave it for any period of time, do not finish the drink.

Those who believe they are a victim of Rohypnol-related sexual assault should go to Mary Greeley Medical Center or call the Department of Public Safety, which can provide confidential support, information and options.

Unsubstantiated rumors and gossip involving fraternity members using the drug to dope female guests have been circulating the campus. However, such claims remain unproven.

“We want to educate ISU students before they go on vacations south, and possibly come in contact with people abusing these drugs,” Nyhus said.

“We also want to stop this problem before it starts at ISU,” he said.