ISU teams up with AccessAir

Karen Dai

AccessAir, a new airline service opening in Des Moines in late April, has cooperated with a group of Iowa State graphic design and interior design students to create an identity package for the company.

The identity package includes the company logo, seat coverings, overhead bins, ticket counters and clothing for employees, said Roger Baer, assistant dean of the College of Design and coordinator of the project.

Baer said the project allows students to understand the reality of the market by working with clients.

“It’s a team-oriented project which requires interdisciplinary work,” he said. “No individual can do all the work, and they have to depend on each other.”

Mark Engelbrecht, dean of the College of Design, obtained the project through his connections with AccessAir, Baer said.

“Students taking part in the project will gain college credit and receive free airline tickets,” Baer said. “They only needed to work here and have a presentation last semester with the clients from Des Moines.”

To assist the students, AccessAir provided all materials and was responsible for all expenses of the project.

According to Baer, the company was founded by several business leaders who believe the service is an alternative to existing airlines in Des Moines. Roger Ferguson, a Des Moines business leader, will be president of AccessAir.

The company is scheduled to provide one-stop flights to the Midwest from both the West and East coasts. Stops in Iowa will include Davenport and Des Moines.

The service will provide businessmen in small towns access to other markets, Baer said.

Fred Malven, associate professor of Design, also takes part in the project.

Baer said an ad agency in Davenport will help the company to do the promotion, but the exact place for seeing the students’ work has not been decided yet.