Sorority plans tourney to raise money

Darcie Brown

Gamma Phi Beta sorority plans to help cancer patients this Sunday by dribbling its way to the bank.

Gamma Phi Beta, 318 Pearson Ave., is hosting a basketball tournament at the State Gym from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to raise money for the Bliss Cancer Center, which is part of Mary Greeley Medical Center and McFarland Clinic.

Each of the 26 teams registered to play in the 5-on-5 basketball tournament payed $20 to participate. All proceeds from the tournament will go to the cancer center.

Hope Seegers, philanthropy chairwoman of Gamma Phi Beta, said this is the first time Gamma Phi Beta has sponsored a basketball tournament.

Seegers said the House Mother’s daughter died of cancer, and because of this, the house decided to help with the funding of cancer research. “We want to give to the community of Ames,” Seegers said.

She said the house has sponsored many different fund-raising activities throughout the year. About 60 members from Gamma Phi Beta will help in the tournament.

Seegers encouraged all Iowa State students to participate in the basketball tournament. “Students can give to charity, have fun and meet other people,” she said.

Seegers said Gamma Phi Beta raised more money this year than previous years at the Great Pancake Breakfast, which is held during the football season. All proceeds from the breakfast went to ACCESS, Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support.

She said the house receives strong support from both students and the Ames community. One of those supporters is the ISU women’s volleyball team, which went to this year’s breakfast.

Seegers added that students can receive gratification knowing they are able to help those in need.

Gamma Phi Beta also participates in other fund-raising activities. The house was involved with Relay for Life last weekend.