No students allowed

Most people understand when property owners don’t allow pets when renting homes or apartments.

Who would want to move into an apartment to find the curtains overwhelmed with the smell of cat litter, or wet spots on the carpet where little Bubbles made way too many little boo-boos?

Anyone could understand the landlord’s continual headaches with a tenant who had pets. The monthly barking complaints and refurbishing of carpet would not only put strain on the landlord’s well-being but also his or her pocketbook.

Who wouldn’t want to ban pets from rental apartments and houses?

The phrase “No children allowed” is also commonly seen in advertisements seeking tenants for apartments and houses.

It may not be fair to compare people to domestic animals, but for some landlords, they’re one in the same.

For landlords, the thought of kids running up and down the stairs, stomping on the floor, drawing with crayons on the walls and playing with matches can put fear into their bones.

But property owners aren’t only discriminating against pets and kids. They’ve found a new breed to exterminate.

College students.

You’d think that in a college town like Ames, where more than half of the population is made up of students, landlords would not only welcome student tenants, but cater to them.

Well, this may burst many students’ bubbles, but landlords frequently restrict their apartments and houses from those under the age of 25.

And it’s perfectly legal.

But what about the Fair Housing Act?

Sorry, but that doesn’t cover discrimination of people under the age of 40.

If landowners don’t want any “college activities” going on in their buildings, they can get away with refusing students housing.

After all, who wants to live next door or downstairs from people who play loud music all time and throw parties every weekend?

Only problem is, by lumping all students into one, often false category, landlords are missing out on many responsible tenants — and students are missing out on off-campus housing.

It may be legal, but any way you slice it, it’s discrimination.