Students create Greektalk to focus on religious issues

Marty Forth

Some members of the Iowa State greek community have joined forces to create GreekTalk, a new group that focuses on religious issues affecting college students’ lives.

A number of students were inspired to create the group over semester break, following a Campus Crusade for Christ conference in Minneapolis, Minn.

About eight students from the greek community attended the conference, including members of FarmHouse fraternity and Gamma Phi Beta and Pi Beta Phi sororities.

Last week, the co-chairs of GreekTalk toured sororities and fraternities to make dinner announcements and to invite greek members to attend the group’s first meeting, which will be held tonight at 6:30 in the Gamma Phi Beta house.

Susie Anderson, junior in speech communication and member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, said many students can benefit from GreekTalk.

“Following the conference in Minnesota, we felt brave enough to start this type of group,” Anderson said. “Many people may not know where or how to start this group, or know what is involved, but would like to attend.”

Anderson said various trends have proven that this type of group is needed on the ISU campus.

One example includes the popularity of Salt Company, which is hosted by Cornerstone Church. Salt Company is a Thursday night tradition for many greeks, in which young individuals come together for praise and worship.

Other popular symbols of faith are the “What Would Jesus Do” bracelets fashioned by many ISU Christians.

The idea is that when students are faced with troubling choices, the bracelet will remind them to act from their faith.

Anderson said everyone is welcome to attend the GreekTalk meeting.

“We hope people will come and give it a chance,” she said.