Leadership conference to be held

Emily Graham

Iowa State students looking to brush up on their leadership skills are invited to attend an upcoming leadership conference.

The conference, titled “In Touch With Your Future,” will emphasize self-evaluation, self-improvement and personal growth.

It will also teach students about valuing and understanding differences, identifying good qualities and shortcomings and stepping out to the professional world.

The Association of Malaysian Students of ISU (AMSISU) is sponsoring the March 8 conference and recommends all students attend, especially graduating seniors and individuals who want to sharpen their leadership skills.

“We hope to have a really good turnout this year. With the conference opened up to all students, I hope to get a good mixture of cultures,” said Choong-Hoong Liew, junior in finance and program manager for AMSISU.

Last year AMSISU sponsored a similar conference that was only open to Malaysian students. There was a good turnout last year, but Liew said this year’s should be even better because the conference is open to all students.

Liew added that participants will come away from the conference feeling more confident.

“We are assuming the students are starting from scratch, and hopefully by the end they will know more about themselves and what they need to do to be successful,” Liew said.

Conference speakers include Dr. Sharon Drake, who is director of ISU Office of Development and Training and adjunct assistant professor of industrial education and technology.

Choy Leow, project manager for BWBR Architects, Inc. in St. Paul, Minn., will focus on developing management and communication skills.

Beverly Kruempel, director of Career Services and member of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences Student Council, will help students prepare resumes and improve interviewing skills. She also will discuss technology and continuous learning.

“It is never too early to start preparing for the professional world,” she said.

The conference will be March 8 from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Scheman Building. AMSISU members are required to pay a $10 fee to attend, and nonmembers will be charged $15.

Students who wish to participate in the leadership conference should send an e-mail to [email protected], including their e-mail address and phone number. The registration deadline is March 2.