Students flaunt fashions on the catwalk at annual show

Abby Zirkle

Gianni, Calvin and Giorgio have a little competition today as Iowa State students in textiles and clothing show off their designer threads at Showcase ’98.

Showcase ’98 is an opportunity to provide recognition for student excellence and to present a broad view of student accomplishments in different classes, such as introduction to apparel product development, flat pattern, aesthetics of apparel, fashion illustration, draping, experimental design, history of textiles, field studies and art craft design.

“Approximately 22 students will have works that will be shown today, with over 30 pieces exhibited,” said Jane Farrell-Beck, professor in textiles and clothing and coordinator of Showcase ’98.

In past years, more students were allowed to participate in the show. However, Farrell-Beck said this year the judges will be more selective, and the quality of the projects will be higher.

Farrell-Beck said the judges are professionals in the textiles and clothing business, from the local manager of Eddie Bauer to a professor in the College of Design. The judges have a tough job, she said.

Before being allowed into the show, students’ works are voted on by the judges. About 25 percent of the entries were not accepted in the final selection for the showcase, Farrell-Beck said.

This year’s showcase includes entries in seven categories, some of which include apparel, wearable art, fashion illustration, portfolio and problem-solving.

Apparel consists of the basic functional, as well as fashionable garments. Wearable art focuses more on the artistic aspects rather than the functional uses of the garment. An example of wearable art would be a dress made of puzzle pieces.

Fashion illustration will be judged by the individual’s elaborations featuring a particular line of garments. Problem-solving is where a student works with clippings from a target market, such as the teen market.

Farrell-Beck said portfolios are for the students who are seeking employment in the design industry.

This is the third year for the textiles and clothing department sponsored showcase. Last year, there were more than 140 people in attendance, and promoters are hoping for at least 200 people this year.

During the show, guests can vote for five People’s Choice Awards in four categories: best of show (first and second place will be awarded), apparel/wearable art, fashion illustration/portfolio and poster/presentation board.

“This event is a wonderful way to show off the many talents of our students,” Farrell-Beck said. “This year’s entries are truly spectacular.”

Showcase ’98 will be held today in the LeBaron Hall lounge from 3 to 5 p.m. The program is free and open to the public, and refreshments will be served during the exhibit.