Week celebrates ISU’s non-traditional students

Kate Kompas

For some non-traditional students, or those who don’t attend college directly following high school graduation, adapting to the Iowa State community can be challenging.

According to a press release, “non-traditional students possess an important strength in that their experiences enhance their understanding in the classroom. Many have started their lives over again, despite family and financial obligations.”

For these reasons, the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs is sponsoring “Non-Traditional Student Awareness Week.” The theme of the week is “Voices and Visions: The Value of Life Experience.”

The week is “an attempt to increase campus awareness of these students’ courageous efforts.”

The week’s events will go as follows:

• On Monday, there will be a panel discussion called “Sharing the Value of Life Experience” at noon in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union. Non-traditional students will discuss their decisions about why they chose to attend college and their adjustments to the classroom environment.
  • On Tuesday, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center will present “Socializing and the Single Non-traditional Student.” The program will be held at noon at the Women’s Center. Stephanie Chervinko, program assistant for the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs, and Laura Bestler, assistant director for student activities, will make a presentation about how single non-traditional students can get involved with social activities at ISU.
  • YWCA is presenting “Voices and Visions: Diverse, Non-traditional Students” on Wednesday. The program will begin at noon in Room 236 of the Memorial Union.
  • A booth will be set up on the first floor of the Memorial Union, where students can pick up a Non-traditional Student Awareness Week button. Various local businesses are offering discounts to persons wearing the button this week.