National Eating Disorders week educates ISU students

Julie Myers

Iowa State is joining colleges and universities across the nation for the second National Eating Disorders Screening Program (NEDSP), which begins today.

The NEDSP, part of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, is a public outreach effort designed to educate students about the consequences of eating disorders and to help those in need of treatment. National Eating Disorders Awareness Week is this week, Feb. 23-28.

Eating disorders are associated with severe body image distortion, weight obsession and the way a person copes with emotions.

If left untreated, the disorders can be deadly.

“A screening is an initial step to finding out more about eating disorders and one’s own body,” said Sarah Spreda, psychology intern at Student Counseling Service.

Participants will be asked to take a short test regarding dieting behavior, feelings about their bodies and food and confrontations from others about eating disorders.

Following the test, a 20- to 30-minute meeting with a health care professional will help the students decide if they are at risk.

Although a diagnosis cannot be made, initial recommendations will be given.

Videos and brochures that show how the media affect and promote disorders also are available.

Paulette Stronczek, psychologist at Student Counseling Service, said some students do not recognize the fact that they suffer from eating disorders.

“Often, students are not even sure if what they are doing is a problem,” she said. “By looking at eating and related behaviors early, a greater problem can be prevented, and people can develop more healthy eating patterns, more positive body image and increase self-esteem.

“The first step is to come in and learn if the services we have can help,” Stronczek said.

Eating disorders usually fall under three categories. Anorexia nervosa is a dramatic reduction of caloric intake to the point of starvation.

Bulimia nervosa includes binge eating and purging, and binge-eating disorder is compulsive eating.

“At Iowa State, we see and hear from many friends and family members who are very concerned about a student’s eating problem and want to know how to help them.

This screening process can be one step in taking action to help your friend,” said Brooks Morse, psychologist and Eating Disorders Services coordinator at Student Counseling Service.

The screenings are free and anonymous for students. They will be available today from 4 to 8 p.m. at the West Booth on the ground floor of the Memorial Union, and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Student Counseling Service in the Student Services Building.

Morse added that Student Counseling Service also offers three different programs throughout the year upon request. The programs involve dealing with eating disorders, achieving a positive body image and living a healthy life.

For more information, call the Student Counseling Service at 294-5056.