SOV choice

Vernon Windsor

I’m writing to express my amazement and disappointment in the decision to substitute the musical “The Music Man” for “Sweet Charity” in this year’s Stars Over Veishea (SOV) production. What the hell is up with that?

I remember sitting in a packed C. Y. Stephens auditorium with a diverse audience of seniors and children watching the SOV production of “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.” We all had a great time. No one I could see had a problem with “risque” material. Indeed, it was a family event … as SOV traditionally has been. Granted, it was a completely student-run event at the time.

I find it difficult to believe that either the students or the SOV production staff is so narrowly provincial as to assume that the audience couldn’t cope with “theater” that doesn’t perpetuate some twisted, waspish stereotype of Iowa life. Talk about being self-absorbed! ISU Theater’s season doesn’t feel the need to serve up this kind of fare, “family values” or not.

Let’s drop this “premier land grant university” stuff if we are assuming that students wanted to re-do their high school theater productions. “The Music Man?!?” “Gee, I suppose students will drink fewer beers if we do a “very family-oriented” (swindlers, liars, reactionary and easily duped townfolk) musical that takes place in Iowa.” What were they thinking?

Would someone please tell us the real reason why Iowa audiences aren’t culturally equipped to appreciate a musical about real life, love and disappointment … a musical that is about and could feature women … one that would permit students in the relatively new performing arts major to really shine with music, dance and theater? And don’t feed us some crap about being “family oriented.” We’re not that stupid. Never underestimate your audience.

Vernon Windsor

Dance musician