Is marijuana use on the rise?

Vicki Larsen

Recent marijuana-related arrests at Iowa State have raised questions within the community about the drug’s prevalence.

Since the beginning of the semester, there have been five incidents involving student possession of marijuana in the residence halls.

During 1997, 21 people were arrested for marijuana violations in the dorms at ISU.

“People need to get away from this. It does nothing but cause a lot of problems,” said John Tinker, investigative coordinator for the Department of Public Safety.

Penalties facing students range in severity depending on the violation. Possession of marijuana can result in a maximum of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

More severe actions are taken against violations such as distribution and use of marijuana in the dorms.

Marijuana use in residence halls is a violation classified as a serious misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and a maximum $1,000 fine.

“It is unlawful for any person to sponsor, promote, or aid, or assist in the sponsoring or promoting of a meeting, gathering, or assemblage with the knowledge or intent that a controlled substance be there distributed, used or possessed, in violation of this code,” according to Chapter 124 of the Iowa Code.

“That could really dent a student’s pocketbook and put a crimp in their plan to complete their college career in four or five years,” Paul Johnson, attorney for Student Legal Services, said of the strict fines.

The penalties may be strict, but offenders in other states face worse consequences.

Missouri state law categorizes the distribution of marijuana as a Class A felony, which carries a penalty range of 10 years to life in prison. In one recent case, a first-time offender who sold $20 of marijuana within 2,000 feet of Central Methodist College was apprehended and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

ISU students may be subjected to university disciplinary sanctions, which are common with possession cases in residence halls.

The range of sanctions varies from a reprimand to possible expulsion, although expulsion is not an average penalty for a possession charge.

“Arrests are becoming more common,” Johnson said. “Law enforcement is stepping up its efforts, yielding an increase in arrests.”

Over the last three years, Tinker said there has been a steady increase in the number of arrests.

However, ISU students maintain mixed opinions about marijuana and its prevalence on campus.

“I think binge drinking is a bigger issue, but marijuana use is a problem. From personal experience, it seems to be more common among the younger crowd,” said Jake Beck, senior in marketing.

Lisa Hughes, sophomore in microbiology, said although marijuana use has become a trend, it is not a serious issue.

“I think it’s pretty common, but not a problem,” Hughes said.