Diverse crowd not a Long Shot at Ames bar

Brian Kline

At the end of one of Ames’ most popular party streets stands a bar that, for most of its existence, has not even been a bar.

The Long Shot, located at the corner of Campus and West streets, used to be known as Dugan’s Deli — before that, Larson’s Grocery.

The name “Long Shot” comes from the bar’s meager beginning. Bartender Todd Schaffert said owner Ken Wills had to buy one bottle of liquor at a time and wasn’t sure if the bar was going to make it.

Another derivation of the name comes from the large shots poured, Schaffert said.

Although construction of the building was completed in 1971, it has only been known as a drinking establishment since August of 1994.

The Long Shot is a place where a variety of people meet, Schaffert said. The bar’s customer base comes from all walks of life, including Iowa State professors, carpenters, graduate and undergraduate students and Ames locals.

“The thing I like most about The Long Shot,” Schaffert said, “is that it is a complete cross-section of Ames. It’s nice for one place to have such great diversity and to have everyone get along.”

The bar has two pieces of art on the exterior. On the south side, there is a colorful mural of unusual plant life with the words: “Berts Outrageous Garden…bottled 1980, by Cynthia and friends” written in the lower right hand corner.

A circular shape comprised of a variety of figures created out of cream colored stones can be found on the north side of the building.

Brown vine-like vegetation hangs from dark-red brick walls to provide for the rest of the exterior decor.

Inside, the bar is dimly lit. Murals used to be displayed on the walls of The Long Shot, but now many colorful signs advertising the different types of alcoholic beverages decorate the wall.

A wooden stage occupies the north side wall and is used for a seating area when a band is not playing.

But when a band is playing, the stage and bar are generally full.

“[We have] bands play once a week,” Schaffert said.

Local favorites that bring in the crowds include 35″ Mudder and Great Big Freak. Jazz and blues are also brought in to provide some variety.

Nathan Wiertzema, senior in agriculture business, said he is not a regular at The Long Shot, but he likes the fact that the bar can bring in and support local bands.

But the stage is not limited to established bands. On Sunday nights, The Long Shot reserves the stage for anyone interested in showing off a few licks of his or her own, and performers are rewarded with 50 cent draws.

Schaffert said anyone wishing to participate is to bring his or her own instrument. A wireless microphone is recommended for those who want to play an acoustic guitar.

“Open mic usually starts at about 10 p.m.,” Schaffert said, “but we allow people to play earlier in the evening if they wish.”

Various other forms of entertainment are found on the south-side of the bar and include a pinball machine, a foosball and two pool tables and a dart board.

One other machine found less and less in bars can be found alongside the pinball game — a cigarette machine.

Patrons who are too shy to sing for beer can enjoy happy hour prices from 4 p.m. until 2 a.m. Sundays. The happy hour schedule on normal business days is from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m., and regular business hours are from 11 a.m. until 2 a.m.

The Long Shot also offers daily specials, including Morgan Monday, Taco Tuesday, Bottleneck Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday, Freakin’ Friday and pint night on Saturday.

But if the daily specials aren’t tantalizing, The Long Shot has ten beers on tap (Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Lienes Red, Original, and Honey Weiss, Samuel Adams, Bass Ale, Guinness and Rolling Rock) and a plethora of mixed drinks that are available upon request.

“They have the best mixed drinks in town,” Rory Flaherty, junior in management information systems, said. Flaherty also said he enjoys the atmosphere.

Depending on when patrons drink, they can watch the CNN Headline News or watch the muted TV while listening to music.

“We have DMX,” Schaffert said. “We usually have blues or classic rock on during the day hours, and at about 7 or 8 we switch it over to the alternative rock station. We also always have the ‘Clones on TV and try to tune in to the major sporting events.”

The Long Shot is located at 2900 West Street.