Saying good-bye

We’ve all heard the saying — you never appreciate people until they’re gone. It’s one of those unfortunate facts of life we all have to deal with.

Today, the staff of the Iowa State Daily says goodbye to one of its own.

We lose a person who has been instrumental in helping make the Daily what it is — a strong and thriving student-run publication read by thousands each day.

It isn’t easy for anyone, particularly an experienced Ames businesswoman, to enter a situation in which she is surrounded by a staff of students.

It’s even harder when some of those students are your bosses as well as your colleagues.

To be able to pull off such a feat takes a special person.

It becomes even more impressive when one realizes this person came to the newspaper when it was at an all time low, financially, and was able to turn it around.

Let’s face it, if it wasn’t for Janette Larkin, our general manager, the Daily would not be where it is today. The Daily may not have been here at all if it weren’t for the hard work and dedication of Janette.

We often count our blessings when we remember “The Bomb,” our now defunct yearbook. It stands as a sobering lesson of what poor management can do to a student publication.

However, we were lucky and we got Janette. And thanks to her, the Daily is still here, still serving the Iowa State community after 108 years.

She came to the Daily and worked with the students to make the Daily better. She supported the students as they ran the paper and offered her advice when they asked for it. We never had to worry where she stood, we always knew she had our back.

Now she’s leaving to bigger and better things, and we know it just won’t be the same without her. We know she has her own life to live, but now who do we go to when we want money for pizza?

Who’s going to bring us bagels on Thursday or send us e-mails to tell us to keep our heads up and not give in to all the pressure?

For many of us seniors, Janette has been the one constant in our years at the Daily. We thank her for her hard work and dedication, we thank her for her patience, and we thank her for having the courage to stick with a sometimes thankless job.

Thanks for everything Janette. We’ll miss you!