Nominations being accepted for Catt Sex Equity Awards

Courtney Tyler

Iowa State faculty, staff and students who have contributed to gender equality and women’s issues within the community will be honored at the end of the semester for their efforts.

The Carrie Chapman Catt Sex Equity Awards, which began in 1990, recognize men and women who have furthered equality through public or personal acts, such as organizational leadership or mentoring.

The ISU Women’s Center Advisory Board is currently accepting nominations for qualified applicants.

Pamela Thomas, director of the Women’s Center, said the awards are a testament of the work people in the Ames and ISU communities have put into these issues.

“This award is absolutely a good way to award the people who have helped to further women’s equity,” she said.

Thomas said awards like the Carrie Chapman Catt Sex Equity Awards draw attention to gender equality, which was largely ignored in the past.

“Because of awards such as this, it brings awareness. [Although] things are different today, we have a long way to go,” she said.

Qualifications for the awards include drawing attention to the effects of sexism or prejudicial attitudes upon women, promoting the elimination of a sexist ideology and demonstrating a unique effort to promote sex equity in the classroom, university or community, according to a press release.

ISU undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, professional and scientific staff and merit staff are eligible for the Carrie Chapman Catt Sex Equity Awards, which include $100 and a plaque. The award will be given to at least one student and one other individual working for the university.

The awards will be presented in April at a seminar titled “Women in Touch.”

The deadline for nominations is Friday. For more information, contact the Women’s Center at 294-4154.