Prague Orchestra hopes to inspire young musicians

Heather Mcclure

Picture an evening at the orchestra — sleek black gowns, expensive jewelry and tuxedos. Not an image most college students can afford or enjoy.

That, however, could easily change this weekend when the Prague Chamber Orchestra brings two of its youngest musicians to Stephens Auditorium.

“[The Prague Chamber Orchestra] is unique because it is conductorless,” Paul Ferrone, director of performing arts at the Iowa State Center, said. “It is led by the concertmaster, which is the first violinist.”

Another aspect of the 39 member orchestra that makes it unusual is that it features two young Russian musicians — 26-year-old pianist Valentina Lisitsa and 20-year-old trumpeter Sergei Nakariakov.

Lisitsa, a widely known and respected duo-pianist with her husband, Alexei Kuznetsoff, is beginning to capture the attention of the music world as a solo artist.

While Lisitsa is trying to reestablish her music, Nakariakov’s career is growing. Making his debut in 1991 at the Salzburg Festival, he has gone on to win the Prix Davidoff at the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival and has appeared in many leading concert centers.

“These musicians are well on their way to embarking on their international careers,” Ferrone said. “And, after hearing them, [the audience] will agree.”

The Prague Chamber Orchestra, on its 13th North American tour, is coming to Ames on behalf of The Iowa State Center and the Ames International Orchestra Festival (AIOF). The goal of these organizations is for audiences to be able to enjoy chamber music of this caliber, to educate and to inspire.

Ferrone hopes the two young musicians will do just that — inspire.

“It’ll be a good concert for students,” Ferrone said. “Students will enjoy hearing what some contemporaries do. Some aspire, some get there and some don’t.

“It will be a phenomenal concert,” he continued. “It’s worth the price of admission. Those who don’t go will be missing something special.”

The Prague Chamber Orchestra will be performing Mendelssohn, Schostakovich, Hugo Wolf and Beethoven Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Stephens Auditorium.

Tickets are $8, $12 and $15 for students and $16, $24 and $30 general admission and are available at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office and TicketMaster.

There will also be an Overture Dinner in the Scheman Building prior to the concert at 5:30 p.m. Dinner tickets are available for $15 at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office.