Professors honored for work in sciences

Daily Staff Writer

Iowa State Professor of electrical and computer engineering David Jiles has been elected a Fellow by the American Physical Society.

Jiles, also a professor of computer engineering and materials science, was cited for his contributions in the field of ferromagnetic hysteresis and related magnetic phenomena, according to a press release.

Jiles holds appointments as senior physicist at Ames Laboratory and senior scientist at the Center for Nondestructive Evaluation, all at ISU.

Warren DeVries, professor and chairman of ISU’s mechanical engineering department, was named Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers International.

According to a press release, the honor is given to ASME International members who have at least 10 years of active engineering practice and have made significant contributions in the field.

DeVries has conducted extensive research in mechanistic modeling of machining for adaptive control, modeling abrasive process, and design and analysis methods for fixture design.

L.K. Doraiswamy, an Anson Marston distinguished professor of chemical engineering at ISU, was named Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences.

Doraiswamy began his career at ISU in 1989. He teaches and researches both theoretical and experimental studies in the areas of catalytic reactions and reactors, modeling noncatalytic reactions and a chemical reaction engineering approach to crystallization, according to a press release.