Sushi bar opens in Ames

Emily Grahm

For the past few months, it has been virtually impossible to find fresh sushi in Ames. However, the Japanese cuisine can now be bought and delivered to your front door.

Mrs. Sushi, a new restaurant which opened Jan. 17, offers the Iowa State and Ames community a new option for grabbing a quick dinner.

The delivery-only restaurant, located at 212 Main St., will specialize in fresh fish and sushi. Sushi is a rice dish garnished with raw or cooked fish and vegetables.

Mrs. Sushi Owner Kenneth Dunn said opening week has been successful and he remains optimistic about the establishment’s future.

Dunn said he decided to open a Japanese restaurant or sushi bar after he returned from a seven-year stay in Japan. He said members of the Asian community in particular, who might be more familiar with sushi than others, will enjoy Mrs. Sushi’s menu items.

“There is a large Asian population on the ISU campus who will enjoy a restaurant that offers fresh fish and sushi,” he said.

Boa Thao, program assistant for Mrs. Sushi, agreed that the restaurant is a unique concept.

“I really think that Mrs. Sushi is a great idea,” Thao said. “I am really excited to see a diversity of restaurants opening up around Ames.”

Although business is going well for Mrs. Sushi, Thao said starting a business is relatively difficult in a campus town.

Some ISU students may not be familiar with sushi and may not think of it as their first choice for dinner. However, others are quite fond of the Japanese delicacy.

Wei Cheng, graduate student in economics, said she has tried sushi and thinks American students will prefer fast food or pizza to it.

However, Dunn said many ISU students, faculty and staff from different cultural backgrounds have expressed interest in the new restaurant and could enjoy dining at Mrs. Sushi.

He said Mrs. Sushi has the potential to become a favorite among students and a major competitor with other establishments.

“I think students will almost have more interest in Mrs. Sushi [than other residents of the Ames community],” Dunn said.

Dunn said the restaurant will offer delivery seven days a week from 5 to 9 p.m., and will maintain appropriate prices for quality fish. He said prices are not yet fixed, but he guaranteed they will be reasonable.

To help achieve a competitive edge, Dunn said the delivery service is free of charge.

Dunn said the new restaurant has maintained a low profile, but that promotions will pick up along with business.

“I am going to start this off slowly. We haven’t done a lot of advertising yet,” Dunn said. “I want to try and go slow so that the business can get its feet on the ground.”

Dunn also is owner and proprietor of Ken’s Cafe and Grill. Both establishments are located at 212 Main St.