Simonson testifies at his sexual harassment hearing

Kelsey Foutch

Simonson, professor of curriculum and instruction in the College of Education, is in the midst of an administrative hearing for sexual harassment.

He is accused of violating university policy, creating a hostile environment and offensive conduct.

The charges were brought against Simonson in February 1997 and resulted in the administrative hearing, which began in mid-December.

After being postponed for three weeks by Administrative Law Judge Donald Bohlken, the hearing resumed on Wednesday.

Mindy Gallagher, graduate student in curriculum and instruction, and Beth Kumar, former ISU graduate student and research assistant, testified in December that Simonson displayed inappropriate behavior.

Simonson said Wednesday that he was informed in February 1997 of Kumar’s sexual harassment claims.

However, Simonson denied Kumar’s claim that he squeezed her knee and told her she “looked good.”

Design Graduate Student Kristen Wright, with whom Simonson had a sexual relationship, also testified Wednesday.

Although Wright has not charged Simonson with sexual harassment, she testified on the prosecution’s behalf about the details of her affair with Simonson.

Wright said the two started a relationship in December 1996 that continued until February 1997, when she and Simonson agreed to end it.

She claimed in spite of her objections, Simonson tried to continue the affair.

The prosecution alleged Simonson sent Wright at least two e-mails in a reconciliation attempt. But Simonson testified that the messages were responses to messages sent to him by Wright.

Simonson alleged he met Wright in the fall of 1996, when he supervised the College of Education’s Technical Research Evaluation Group (TRAEG).

He said research ended in December 1996, when he began his relationship with Wright.

He said students involved in the group were then supervised by other professors.

Simonson said he and Wright ended their relationship to avoid violating a university conduct policy.

Confirming his knowledge of Wright’s status at ISU, however, Simonson said he never directly supervised Wright and that he had never been her professor.

Simonson also claimed Wright had resigned her position at TRAEG and was planning to move away to pursue a student-teaching position.

He maintained that at no time did he believe that he was violating university policy by having a sexual relationship with Wright.

The hearing continues this morning at 9:15, with further testimony from Simonson.