ISU men and women eye Hawks

Scott Johnson

Even though it is early in the season, it’s time for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams to step up, with the Iowa Hawkeyes coming to town this weekend. The two teams have had varied pasts against the Hawks and have quite separate agendas in what they want to achieve Saturday at Hilton.

This intrastate rivalry is huge for a number of reasons for the fans, teams and the schools. It provides bragging rights for another year, gives added confidence, and perhaps most importantly, is critical in recruiting the top state high school preps.

The men have certainly not been wowing anybody this year, narrowly escaping teams that aren’t exactly national powerhouses and even losing to another state rival, UNI, in the season opener. It will be the first match-up of the two teams’ outstanding freshmen: our Marcus Fizer and Iowa’s Ricky Davis.

As everyone knows, Iowa State lost the heart of the team that went into Iowa City last year and spanked the Hawks. There will be some growing pains, with Coach Floyd playing a number of freshmen and relying on some upperclassmen who have not had much experience.

The emergence of Klay Edwards, along with Fizer, should allow the Cyclones to match up against Iowa’s Guy Rucker and Ryan Bowen. At times during these opening games both Edward and Fizer have looked unstoppable, though they have lacked consistency.

In the backcourt, the Hawks have an obvious advantage. Dean Oliver is running the Iowa fast break and half-court offense like a seasoned veteran. The youthful guards of ISU will have a tough time keeping up with his quickness.

Stevie Johnson should be able to slow down Davis. Johnson has the athletic ability to stay with the talented freshman. Overall, even though the Cyclones are struggling, they have the talent to stay with the Hawks. It is just too bad this meeting has to occur so early in the season.

For the women, the story is a bit different. They are off to one of the strongest starts in school history and have their top two scorers returning in Jayme Olson and Janel Grimm. The team is currently ranked in the top 30 in the nation but has not beaten the Hawks since 1982.

Unlike the men, they are on the upswing, and Coach Fennelly is looking to put another chink in Iowa’s armor. Iowa has struggled a bit, losing some close non-conference games on the road.

Their young guards, Stacy Frese and Megan Taylor, have jelled well with the rest of the crew. At times the Hawkeyes have been sloppy, but they have out-classed and easily pounded lesser teams.

ISU has had back-to-back 17-win seasons and is coming off a first-ever trip to the NCAA tournament. This year, not only are the women looking to improve nationally, but also to begin dominating their in-state competition.

The Cyclones have had success against Drake and UNI in the past, but Iowa has continued to be a thorn in their sides. This weekend, look for the ladies to take care of business and keep on rolling throughout the season.

Scott Johnson is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Holstein.