Professor assigns three acts of kindness for final

Sarah Leonard

It’s almost the end of the semester, which leaves just enough time for one more project from Professor Bill Boone’s Design 129 class.

So far this year’s projects have included a mass water-fight with costumes and rules which was held on central campus and one class creatively smashing pumpkins in a parking lot.

For the last project of the semester, Boone has let the holiday spirit get the best of him. He has assigned his class to perform three Random Acts of Kindness.

“I’ve been doing something with Random Acts of Kindness for the past three or four years; it’s a reaction to random acts of violence. We started a few years ago with a T.V. spot on the steps of Beardshear doing good things for people. We just hope to keep the spirit spreading right through the holidays,” Boone said.

He said in years past, his class has done a project called “Hug Me, Don’t Bug Me,” in which students needed to hug a certain number of people per day.

“But that didn’t always work out so good — everyone has their own mor‚s!” Boone said.

As part of this year’s project, students were assigned to give out 50 compliments in five days. The students needed to record the compliments and the reaction they got in order to receive credit, Boone said.

The second half of the project was to preform three Random Acts of Kindness during Dead Week. Preferably, he said, the acts would be to three different people of three different backgrounds: student, teacher and business person.

“We just want to try to make the world a better place, to spread around the holiday spirit,” said Stacie VanWyck, a teaching assistant for Professor Boone and a graduate student in landscape architecture.

“I gave blood, brought special Christmas candy to my friend’s doorstep with a little card … a young girl fell down outside here on campus and I stayed with her to help her,” said Deb Smith, a junior in community and regional planning. “Probably the most important one was being Rollin the Reindeer for the Story County Volunteer Center.”