Don’t stress out – play with race cars and sip tea instead

Abby Zirkle

The stress level across campus is rising rapidly as finals week quickly approaches. Not to worry though, the Stress-Free Zone is here once again to let anxious students relax and take a break from end-of-the-semester pressures.

This year there will be two locations for the Stress-Free Zone. Relaxation Central will be held at the Sloss House and the Play Room will be located in the northwest study lounge of the Memorial Union.

Relaxation Central will host an array of relaxation techniques. To enhance the effect, there will be aromatherapy, herbal teas to sip, soft music playing faintly in the background and dim lighting.

“We will be having students from the Student Counseling Service coming in and doing progressive relaxation techniques,” said Stephanie Chervinko, program assitant at the Student Activities Center. “Progressive relaxation teaches students how to relax themselves slowly so it is almost as refreshing as a nap.”

For those looking for something different, the Play Room has a little more upbeat atmosphere.

Legos along with a graffiti wall, coloring books and colors, playing cards, balls to throw, play dough, dart guns and electronic race cars will be availble for students to take their stress out on.

“This year representatives from the Cultural Resources Center are bringing in different costumes from cultures around the world to the Play Room. At Relaxation Central they will bring in rain sticks and different pillows from various places,” Chervinko said.

The Stress-Free Zones are planned by the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs, Counseling Services and the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center. There are also several other offices sponsoring the event.

Last year each zone saw more than a couple hundred students. “This year we are expecting a lot more students to visit each site, especially the Play Room,” Chervinko said. “It used to be in the basement of the Union and we wanted it to be in a more accessible place. The northwest study lounge is the perfect place to have it.”

Students who participated in the events last year said the zones were a great way to relived stess.

“It was a good time and it was free. You can’t go wrong there,” said Grif Sims, senior in computer science who relieved his stress at the zone last year.

The zones will be held Wednesday, Dec. 10 through Dec. 12 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. All activities are free and open to anyone who is in need of a healthy escape from all pressures and stress that accompany finals.

All students are encouraged to stop in and take a break, regardless of whether they are freshmen or graduate students. A 15 minute visit to a Stress-Free Zone can make a big difference, Chervinko said.

“For those who say they can’t afford to take a break, I say they can’t afford not to,” she said.