Holidays may bring depression to some

April Goodwin

The cloudy skies, the snowy streets and the brisk air are making everyone want to snuggle under their comforter just a little while longer in the mornings. For some, however, this struggle to get out of bed is related to a more serious problem.

Some people are dreading the approaching holidays. Mora Pegler, licensed individual social worker and clinical director at Richmond Center, a community mental health institution, said some people think, “What do I have to look forward to?”

For those from dysfunctional families, looking ahead to upcoming events and spending time with family can make things seem fairly hopeless, Pegler said.

People that don’t feel connected to a family and have nowhere to go for the holidays can also begin to feel depressed around this time of year, she added.

“Students or young adults without a comfortable family life or that have recently experienced a major loss, such as a divorce or death, are more prone to become depressed over the holidays,” Pegler said.

“There are two basic causes of clinical depression; a chemical imbalance or a situational difficulty.” said Nancy Stubbs, counselor at Firm Foundations Counseling Center of Ames.

Stress can also cause depression or a down mood.

“The holidays can be very stressful,” Stubbs said. “You can feel a lot of pressure for things to run smoothly because a lot of people have the belief that the holidays are a time for families to be happy. But these expectations aren’t always met.”

“People expect the holidays to be full of magic and have visions of family harmony,” Pegler said.

“Students have been on their own all semester, and have been developmentally growing away from their families and becoming more independent,” Pegler said. “But many times the minute they walk in the door they’re assigned to their old roles.”

For example, Pegler said, “They have curfews and are being reminded to take their coats with them. It can be upsetting for students because they are different, but their family isn’t recognizing that they’ve grown and changed and are capable of managing their own time and decisions now.”

Pegler also said memories are a definite predictor for whether or not someone will become depressed over the holidays.

“Terrible memories that haunt people from when they grew up can take the form of restlessness and irritability or anger,” Pegler said.

“Those that don’t have pleasant memories of past holidays can become depressed starting around October. Depression tends to replay around the time of the initial depression,” she added.

Stubbs mentioned that clinical depression is composed of five typical symptoms. Changes in appetite occur, either an increased or slowed appetite. People tend to sleep either more or less than usual.

There is either an increased agitation and nervousness or a decrease in the ability to concentrate on anything.

“As a student, you may stay on the same page forever, or take a lot longer in doing your assignments,” Stubbs said.

Additionally, depressed people are down in spirit and some may have suicidal tendencies.

Stubbs said wanting to be isolated and not socialize can be a sign of depression.

Experiencing more anger than usual or not wanting to get out of bed in the morning are also a general symptoms, Stubbs said.

“I heard from a professor at the University of Iowa that there is no such thing as ‘holiday depression’ and that there is no evidence of an increase in psychiatric help over the holidays,” Pegler said. “I think that people do have a tendency to become more stressed out and to get blue, though.”

“Sometimes there are people who may have a full-blown, clinical case of depression over the holidays, but I don’t treat more patients throughout the holidays,” she added.

Those experiencing depression display physical signs including feeling tired all of the time, getting headaches or backaches, not sleeping as well and getting sick more easily, Pegler said.

“They may experience guilt, hopelessness, or find no pleasure in things that they used to enjoy,” she added.

Mind racing, feeling burned out and having a more negative or pessimistic attitude than usual are all signs of depression as well.

“They may cry more easily or find it hard to cope, finding things unmanageable,” Pegler said.

Some personality types create difficulties over the holidays as well, Pegler said.

“Those who try hard to fulfill other’s expectations, keep everyone happy and are control freaks set themselves up for frustration,” she said.

“Along with that, traditionally women have been made responsible for insuring that everyone has a good holiday experience,” Pegler said.

The rise in emotional intensity can cause a lot of blow-out fights.

For students, coming home to see old friends can create a lot of stress. Sometimes they’ve gained weight and worry about looking too fat, Pegler said.

The weather can also be a factor with depression.

“There is such a thing as seasonal depression that occurs when the weather is cloudy. There is vitamin D in sunlight, which is an anti-depressant,” Stubbs said. “And winter days are less sunny in general.”

“Gift shopping is difficult,” Stubbs said. “Some people tend to feel like failures if they can’t buy the expensive gifts that they want to buy for others.”

Stubbs expressed the importance of exercise in fighting depression.

“People who are active are less likely to be depressed as people who are not active,” she said.

Exercising releases natural anti-depressant chemicals called endorphines. “People tend to be less careful over the holidays; they drink and eat more and exercise less, which adds to the problem in general,” Pegler said.

For people from dysfunctional families, finding an alternative to going home over the holidays is a great way to avoid depression around this time of year.

“Try to build part of your normal routine into your days when you’re home over the holidays,” Stubbs said. “Go running or exercise, read a novel, paint your nails, soak in a bubble bath or watch a movie to help deal with stress. Just do something you enjoy.”

Pegler said if someone is really noticing signs of depression that are not going away, they need to go to student health counseling services or another counselor.

There is also a 24-hour crisis line to call at 232-5686 or 1-800-830-7009.