ISU gay community is active and vocal

Jonquil Wegmann

Every semester you can find an ongoing debate on the opinion page of the Daily between homophobic zealots and members and supporters of the gay community.

This semester was particularly interesting.

Along with the usual “it is wrong because God condemns it” or “it is wrong because it is unnatural” rhetoric, came a “friendly” warning letter advising homosexuals to change their lifestyle because of the high rates of suicide in the gay community.

One letter even tried to compare the oppression of the gay community in our society to troubles the writer experienced in the dorms as a “born-again” Christian.

These types of letters show a complete lack of understanding of the issues and reality of the “queer” community.

I am impressed with the responses to these anti-homosexual letters from members and friends of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

The community has shown itself to be articulate, aware and patient of the pervasive ignorance they face on a daily basis.

One response was especially impressive, showing strong solidarity within the community with 30 or so signatures at the bottom of the letter.

It’s encouraging to know more and more members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community are getting tired of hiding in the closet. Tired of the hiding and secrets, they’re becoming socially and politically active.

The other day on the bus ride home from campus, I saw a pin on another student’s backpack. It read, “I’m gay and I vote.” My response? Good for you! Now, go encourage your friends to do the same.

Let’s use democracy to change American society for the better for all people — gay and straight.

It’s not only the members of the gay community who are getting active. The number of straight supporters is growing — and they vote, too!

As more people promote awareness, I think the silly stereotypes attached to the gay community will begin to dissipate. After all, when you personally know an openly gay person, you see them as a multi-dimensional human being.

Before I came to college, my experience with homosexuals was probably typical of many other students coming from small Iowa towns. I had never met anyone who was openly homosexual.

Meeting my first gay person came as a shock, but I got over it and, eventually, we became friends.

Since then, I’ve met more people who are open with their homosexuality. I can tell you from my experience that the stereotypes are simply not true.

Lesbians are not ugly or fat or “femi-nazis” who can’t get a man. Gay men are not lisping fairies. Transgendered people are not freaks.

Bisexuals are not uncontrollable sexual maniacs. Gay people are not sexually unstable with multiple lovers. Gay people do not raise their children to be gay.

In fact, the gay couples I know have some of the most stable and committed relationships of all the couples — gay and straightÿ— I know.

And, a lesbian couple I know raise their children in a more loving and nurturing household than a lot of straight couples I know.

Now, before I get a flood of letters claiming the stereotypes are true, let me admit there are most likely some homosexuals who do fit the stereotypes.

Of course, there are heterosexuals who fit them as well.

The stereotypes are meaningless.

I encourage ISU students to learn more about the gay community by attending an Alliance meeting.

The Alliance is the new name for what used to be the LGBTA. Their mission is to educate the community on LGBTA issues and to support members who are coming to accept their sexuality. Membership is open to any person who is supportive of the mission.

You can also learn more by visiting the Alliance Web site at http://www.public. iastate.edu/~stu_org/Alliance.

Open your mind and you’ll find a group of nice people willing to educate you about their lifestyle.

A little education and understanding is always a good thing.

Jonquil Wegmann is a senior in community and regional planning from Bellevue.