Extension receives award for programming

Conor Bezane

Iowa State Extension’s school-to-work committee received an award for developing excellent programs to prepare high school and elementary school students for the work force.

The Epsilon Sigma Phi Team Award was given to the committee Tuesday, Nov. 11.

Establishing programs and classes that prepare students for the work force is the primary goal of the School-to-Work Opportunities Act, signed by President Clinton in 1994. The act has enabled many schools across Iowa to develop school-to-work programs.

“We work with a consortium of five schools, determining what programs will prepare kids for the world of work,” said Michele Maguire Beck, county extension education director.

Maguire Beck said the committee has conducted informational meetings as well as focus groups to accomplish its goals.

The committee also asked past graduates whether they have felt prepared for the world of work, she said.

Maguire Beck said the school-to-work programs are for all students, not just vocational students.

The committee has worked to build programs that integrate academic courses with vocations.

ISU Extension’s school-to-work committee has given expertise to five schools in Clarke, Union and Adair counties.

It has attempted to build partnerships between schools, communities and businesses.

These partnerships are important because, in addition to preparing students for the work force, they give students the opportunity to learn about the businesses and jobs surrounding them, Maguire Beck said.

According to a press release, work force preparedness is an important component of ISU Extension’s youth development efforts and an aspect of the families, children and youth at risk national initiative.

“It’s very nice to be recognized for work being done when you know it has helped people. It’s a good feeling,” Maguire Beck said.