No one is safe

Krista Noah

It’s great to know that the threat of sexually transmitted infections is not going unnoticed at Iowa State. A recent column by Ben Jones addressed some common STIs among college students —ÿlike gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital warts and herpes. Each of these are seen and treated at Planned Parenthood of Ames, which is a confidential resource for education on sexually transmitted infections.

Planned Parenthood provides confidential testing, treatment and a willingness to answer questions about these STIs plus vaccinations for the Hepatitis B virus (HBV). We screen all women for chlamydia because 80 percent of women infected with chlamydia have no symptoms.

If untreated, the infection could develop into pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which may lead to infertility. Planned Parenthood also provides “partner treatment” which allows the partner of a patient with known gonorrhea or chlamydia to receive treatment without being tested. Treating partners helps ensure the spread of infection will be stopped.

Jones made a strong point when he urged ISU students to get tested for sexually transmitted infections. An estimated 12 million new STIs occur every year; two-thirds are among men and women under age 25.

Currently, at least one in every four will contract an STI at some point in his or her life. It’s especially important for college students to understand the resources available to them both on and off campus.

Planned Parenthood is committed to the prevention and spread of sexually transmitted infections through proper treatment and education. We want to make sure that students are making healthy decisions toward safer sex or if they should contract an STI.

Planned Parenthood will be there to assist students with treatment and counseling. An October survey among our patients showed a 99 percent approval for our staff willingness to answer patient questions and 97 percent approval for Planned Parenthood’s level of confidentiality.

Situations will differ, but Jones’ commentary still stresses the most important point: no one is safe from contracting a sexually transmitted infection. The best thing students can do is to educate themselves and know their resources.

Krista Noah

Center manager

Planned Parenthood