Reflecting on awareness about an epidemic

December 1 is World AIDS Day, a day set aside to reflect on the epidemic proportion of this disease. There will be many activities on campus and throughout the world.

We, as Catholic campus ministers, believe that AIDS is an important issue. We would like to add a few ideas for consideration this week.

Persons with AIDS should always receive compassionate care.

They are all human beings with an intrinsic worth. Those who have AIDS or are HIV-positive should never be treated as outcasts. AIDS is not a punishment from God. We believe in a compassionate God.

Discrimination against persons with AIDS is always a grave injustice. There needs to be responsible education about AIDS, so that people understand the nature and causes of the disease.

There should be continuing research into treatments and solutions.

But AIDS is not just a U.S. phenomenon. Women and children, and especially the poor, throughout the world, are suffering from AIDS in alarming numbers.

In fact, AIDS has devastated a number of African nations. Research, thus, should seek solutions that will be available not just for the rich, but especially for the poor.

AIDS is not merely a medical issue. There are moral, as well as medical, implications of this epidemic. Though there are other causes of AIDS, we need to challenge behavior that puts people at risk for contracting or spreading AIDS.

“Safe sex” is not a solution; nor are vaccines. Promiscuous sexual behavior — of any type — not only puts people in danger of disease, but, we believe, it also cheapens the beauty of the gift that sexuality is.

Finally, we see the need of continuing cooperation in helping people with AIDS and their families, both pastorally and financially. We will try to be present to them, as to all people in need, offering them hope and comfort by our care.

John Donaghy

Crystal Caruana Sullivan

Fr. Jon Seda

Fr. Everett Hemann

Campus ministers at St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center