There’s no place like someone else’s home

Carrie Seim

There’s no place like home for the holidays. But when home is thousands of miles away, as it is for many Iowa State international students, the Thanksgiving Visits program is the next best thing.

Sponsored by the Office of International Students and Scholars, this program matches ISU international students with Ames community members for Thanksgiving.

Program coordinator Jane Edwards said the goal of the project is to let students learn about and experience a unique part of American culture.

“It’s an opportunity for international students to learn about the holiday, but moreover, a wonderful chance for our community members to get to know international students,” she said.

Edwards said she believes most international students have heard of Thanksgiving before through international television and media but have never actually experienced the holiday and are not aware of the meaning behind it.

She said she has advertised the program through newsletters, flyers, electronic mail and personal letters to students. So far, six students have signed up for the exchange and there are at least 20 places available with host families, Edwards said.

“We’ll take as many people as want to sign up … we’ve always been able to match all the students,” she said.

Jan Siu-Mei, a sophomore in apparel merchandising and an international student from Hong Kong, signed up to participate in Thanksgiving Visits this year. She said she is looking forward to the program and the chance to get away from campus.

“I signed up for the program because I want to know more about American culture. I had heard of Thanksgiving, but I didn’t know the meaning [behind the holiday],” she said. “When I got here, I asked my roommate, and now I understand the meaning.”

Siu-Mei said she does not know who her host family is yet, but she expects to find out this week.

Edwards said the only requirement for being a host family is a willingness to share an afternoon or evening and the Thanksgiving meal with a student.

She said the holiday is traditionally a time when many friends and relatives get together and most families enjoy having international students as their guests.

“Several host families have had students [in past years], so I take that as a good sign they’ve enjoyed the experience,” she said.

Jane Dietz, program assistant for the Iowa State National Foreign Language Resource Center, has participated in the Thanksgiving Visits program for three years.

She said she has welcomed international students from Japan, Spain, Germany, Hungary and Jordan to her home for the holiday.

She said her family spent one Thanksgiving with people from 10 different countries.

Dietz said she expects to have a smaller group at her house this year and wants them all to enjoy the day.

“I just hope no one doesn’t have a place to go on Thanksgiving,” she said.

Bobbie and Roy Warman, who will be hosts for the first time this year, said they are excited about Thanksgiving Visits.

The Warmans have had previous international experiences through their travels and involvement in Friendship Force exchanges with Australia, Turkey and Russia.

“We’ve had contact with international students and people from other countries in various ways in the past.

“This year we have no family coming for Thanksgiving and we really enjoy interaction with people from other countries,” Bobbie Warman said.

“We’ll do a typical American Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie,” Varmann said.

She said they will also try to explain the holiday to their guest.

Roy Warman, retired director of ISU Student Counseling Service, said the program is beneficial.

“It’s nice to learn how other people live. I think we have some really wonderful opportunities here in Ames to have contact with people from other countries,” he said.

Anyone interested in participating in the Thanksgiving Visits program as a guest or host should contact Edwards at 294-0378 by Wednesday, Nov. 19.