ISU soccer splits final weekend series

Laurie Meythaler

The Iowa State soccer team finished their home season this weekend with a win Friday and a loss Sunday.

The Cyclones ended regular season play with a record of 12-8, the best record ever for the young team.

On Friday, ISU dominated the Kent State Golden Flash, winning by a final score of 9-1. The nine goals were a season high for the Cyclones and included five goals and one assist by senior Jo Hinks.

She led ISU, totaling 11 points in the game, upping her point total for the season to 46.

Sophomore Jun Shen supplied her team with five assists in Friday’s victory.

The Cyclones led after only eight minutes of game time, with sophomore Liz Salih netting the match’s first goal. The next two goals happened within 20 seconds of each other and were both scored by Hinks.

Freshman Nikki Carter and junior Ann Davy each scored their first goals of the season.

Sophomore Barb Lavergne scored the final goal of the first half at 43:45 to make the score 6-0.

Kent State scored their lone goal a little over a minute into the second half, but that did not faze the Cyclones. Hinks ended the second half with a flourish, scoring three consecutive goals to make the final 9-1.

ISU outshot the Golden Flash 37-11. Senior Lauren Muser played 90 minutes at goalkeeper, and recorded six saves.

Sunday, the Cyclones battled wind and snow at the ISU Soccer Complex but lost 3-1 to Wisconsin-Green Bay. Sophomore Lindsey Rector said players were concerned about the weather conditions, but “that is not an excuse for losing.”

Sunday’s game was tied 1-1 at halftime, with the only Cyclone goal knocked in by Rector. During the second half, the weather and Wisconsin-Green Bay proved too much for the Cyclones.

“We didn’t play as well as we should have,” Rector said. “We weren’t working as a team. It was disappointing.”

Thursday, the Cyclones face Baylor at the Big 12 Conference Tournament in San Antonio. Earlier in the season, the Cyclones lost to the Bears 2-0.

“We are ready for the Big 12 Tournament, this game was an awakening. Now we realize we need to play better for the tournament,” Rector said.