ISU has only on-site learning construction lab in the country

Amy Hillman

Real job experience is what some construction engineering students are receiving right here on campus.

Through the only on-site construction learning lab in the country, 23 Iowa State undergraduate students and two graduate students are receiving the opportunity to learn aspects of construction engineering with hands-on training for the first time.

The project is called Engineering Teaching and Research Complex Construction and is managed by the company Weitz. The research is being done for Howe Hall, which is in the process of being built directly north of Beyer Hall.

At OWL, the on-site Weitz Learning Lab, the students research different aspects of the construction of Howe Hall.

“We always have an opportunity to visit construction sites, but here students see the day-to-day progress and can question why certain processes are taking place,” said James Rowings, civil and construction engineering associate professor and adviser for the project.

“It allows us to bridge some of the academic process with the real world when the student leaves here,” Rowings added. “This program gives the students a chance to learn on their own, which is different than your typical lecture class where sometimes things are spoon-fed to you.”

Students of all ages are involved in this program.

“Experience is also a helpful thing to have, but isn’t a necessity for this program,” said Brian Ellsworth, a graduate student who serves as the project manager.

“An experienced senior could use this [project] to help them immediately after school, where an [in]experienced sophomore could use this to gain experience and sort of get their feet in the door,” Ellsworth said. “It just depends on the person and their situation.”

Ellsworth said the program is set up through an independent study document students decide on with their advisors. With the assistance of their advisors, each student decides how many credits the program will count for and when they will work at OWL.

An important aspect of Ellsworth’s job is to set up appointments for students to talk with someone from Weitz or a contractor if they need assistance with some of their research.

Ellsworth said the construction research the students do is not actually used on the construction site, but is researched as if it actually would be used.

One of the most important things that will hopefully come out of this program, Ellsworth said, “is to come up with a teaching component that can be used for years to come by students and not just in a class next semester.”

Tracy Petricka, a sophomore in construction engineering, was an [in]experienced participant in this project when she first started at the beginning of the semester.

“I’ve learned a lot just doing this,” Petricka said. “You’re only gonna get out of it what you put into it, though.”

Tyler Harris, a senior in construction engineering, went into the program with three years of experience and feels it has been beneficial to him.

“We learn a lot about all sides of construction, and the access to technology is readily abundant,” Harris said.

The hands-on experience has been helpful, he added. “You can only learn so much in the classroom.”

Rowings, as well as many other students involved, said Weitz has been very helpful in this program.

“I think they see this as an opportunity to turn out some better construction engineers and possibly are hoping to get some that could help their company someday,” Rowings said.

“If anything, we haven’t used our resources enough,” Ellsworth said. “But we plan to as the program will hopefully continue.”