Tour bus makes job searches a little easier

Staci Hupp

Students who fear the job market will pass them by after graduation might rest easier when a job program visits Iowa State today.

JobDirect.com, an Internet job-hunting tool, and renowned speaker-author Patrick Combs will present JobDrive, a touring program directed at college students. According to a press release, JobDrive’s mission is to “reach students early in the academic year and prepare them to find a fulfilling internship or job.”

Rachel Bell, co-founder of JobDirect.com, said the company is in tune with college students because it understands their job anxieties.

“We come from the student perspective, and that’s where our strengths lie,” she said.

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., representatives will park the JobDrive technology bus in front of the Memorial Union and offer students tips and encouragement about the road to success.

Students are welcome to register for JobDirect.com’s free service, which provides help with resumes and job searches.

Bell said JobDrive first derived from JobDirect.com to gain publicity, but the touring program became an instant success.

She said three of the company’s buses tour colleges across the country.

“We wanted to create more awareness around [JobDirect.com],” she said. “It’s a really popular program. When we first started, we had one bus. It was so successful we started two more.”

In addition, Combs, author of “Major in Success: Make College Easier, Beat the System and Get a Very Cool Job,” will speak at the Memorial Union from 8-10 p.m. Combs will give away 300 free copies of his book to those attending his speech.

Combs, a San Francisco State University alumnus, has toured hundreds of universities.

His work has appeared in numerous publications, including the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, and he has been a guest on programs such as “The Late Show” and “Good Morning America.”

Incorporating humor, music, audience participation and personal success-failure stories, Combs touches on the everyday concerns of college students.

Bell said although this is Comb’s first semester with JobDrive, students respond to his speeches.

“He can help you where you need it most. He helps people relate to the whole job search,” Bell said. “He knows the student market.”

The award-winning speaker’s primary subjects include finding that “dream” job, improving grades, taking beneficial classes and staying motivated.

JobDrive’s stop at ISU is one of 150 campus visits across the nation.

Students can access more information on the Internet about Combs’ lectures and JobDirect.com’s JobDrive at www.rankit.com. Profiles of Combs and his weekly columns are available on his Web site, www.goodthink.com.