Dan Rather live, via satellite tonight

April Goodwin

Dan Rather and CBS News producers and writers will be giving a behind-the-scenes look at the production of the evening news today at 6:30 p.m. in the Gallery of the Memorial Union via satellite.

The seminar is part of the University Satellite Seminar Series. This semester’s seminars, originating from Los Angeles and New York, are focusing on television as a creative process.

“Creating Science Fiction: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” will be shown Thursday, Nov. 20, at 6:30 p.m. in the MU.

The creative team of “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” will examine how the series has extended the legacy of Gene Roddenberry and his original vision for “Star Trek.”

For each seminar, students and educators around the country have the opportunity to participate and ask questions of the creators, producers, directors and on-air talent through a live satellite hook-up.

According to a recent press release from the Public Relations Department of The Museum of Television and Radio, Rather and his producers will discuss the process — and the challenge — of putting together the newscast.

Panelists will include Rather, Executive Producer Jeff Fager, Director Eric Shapiro and Senior Broadcast Producer Michael Whitney. The seminar will be seen via satellite at approximately 300 universities and colleges across the nation.

“It’s like watching a big TV screen but more interactive than that,” said Dom Caristi, assistant professor of journalism and mass communication.

“A 1-800 number will be given to call and ask questions to those delivering the live production. So bring your cell phones,” Caristi said.

The seminar is sponsored by the journalism and mass communication department and the Committee on Lectures; it is funded by the Government of the Student Body.

“It’s an excellent opportunity for Iowa State students to hear from professional, network-level people that don’t often get to Ames, Iowa,” Caristi said.

“The advantage is that you don’t have to worry about offending the speakers if you’re talking or not paying close attention because they can’t see you,” he added.

Entering its sixth season, “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” remains one of the most successful programs in syndication. According to the news release, Rick Berman, executive producer and co-creator, and Ira Steven Behr, executive producer, will be appearing in person with additional panelists to be announced.

Along with the journalism department, the Government of the Student Body and Committee on Lectures, the Science Fiction Club also is helping to sponsor this seminar.

“The series will give you a better understanding of how programs get put together,” Caristi said. “The Museum of TV and Radio created six seminars in the series, and we’re doing three of them,” he said.