Making dough at food service

Emily Graham

With 400 positions to fill next semester, Iowa State residence-hall dining services are looking for workers to take advantage of their special employment plans for students.

“One of the reasons students like us is we offer opportunities for advancement,” said Stewart Burger, director of dining services.

Dining services offer many different positions and a cash or credit payment option. Students can also choose to work 12, 15 or 18 hours per week, he said.

Those working 12 hours each week will make $1,055 a semester. At 15 hours, it increases to $1,320 a semester, and at 18 hours, pay is $1,585.

Students working for credit must live in the residence halls. They get their wages for the semester deducted from their university bill at the beginning of the semester, Burger said.

Those who work for credit must also work an allocated number of hours each week. If time is taken off, it must be made up or the student will owe money to dining services at the end of the semester.

If working for cash, students will be paid $5.55 an hour. Positions are available on the food line, in production, in the dish room and in the dining-room area Some students also work in the warehouse and as bartenders at catered events for alumni.

Soon students will also be needed to work in a convenience store opening in Friley Hall, Burger said. Two more convenience stores will be opening before fall of ’98. This spring a convenience store will open in the Richardson Court Association, and another store will open at Towers during the summer, he said.

Dining services also offers opportunities for advancement with pay increases, Burger said. Students can move up from the entry-level positions to lead worker, student supervisor or student manager.

Dining halls are located in Maple-Willow-Larch, Oak-Elm, Linden, Friley, Knapp-Storms and Wallace-Wilson.

Burger said many students like working for dining services because it is close to home and offers competitive pay.

Biology freshman Kathryn Grau said working for the Oak-Elm dining services has been a positive experience. “I have met a lot of people, and all the cooks are really friendly,” Grau said.

Applications can be obtained from any dining halls or from the Department of Residence Dining Services Administration Office in 1216 Friley Hall.

Burger said scheduling begins during the Thanksgiving holiday, and he recommends getting applications in soon.