Costs of education

Anyone who lives in the Richardson Court Association dorms or who walks across Knoll Road sees the construction going on at President Jischke’s house.

The Knoll apparently needs renovations to keep its over 9,000 visitors coming back. However, fixing up the 97-year-old structure will cost the general university fund approximately $245,000.

Now, flash back to our Homecoming football game against Baylor when we tore down the goal post. Much fuss was made by students and the ISU administration about the cost of replacing the goal post.

According to officials in the Athletic Department, a pair of new goal posts cost $4,200 two years ago, when we last replaced them. That’s $240,800 less than the general university funds going to the Knoll renovations.

Let’s look at it another way. The Board of Regents recently mandated a tuition increase which amounts to $108 more in tuition and fees for resident undergraduate students per year.

It would take the money from 2,269 students’ tuition increases to pay for the Knoll renovations, but only 39 students would have to chip in for the replacement goal post.

At least 39 students participated in tearing down the goal post; some would gladly allocate their tuition increase to purchasing a new goal post.

How many students will ever be directly impacted by the Knoll renovations?