Grant brings speakers to campus

Melanie Van Hoeck

A grant awarded to Iowa State for a course on science and religion will help bring two speakers to campus.

The John Templeton Foundation presented ISU with $10,000 last year for offering the course “The History of Science and Religion,” which examines the ongoing relationship between the two fields.

Part of the award will go toward bringing two speakers to the ISU campus.

The first, Paul Croce, will speak at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 19, in 1414 Molecular Biology. The title of his talk is “If It’s Certain, It Can’t Be True: On the Evolution of Science and Religion in the Nineteenth Century.”

Croce is a professor of American studies at Stetson University in DeLand, Fla.

He is the author of “Science and Religion in the Age of William James.”

This spring, David Lindberg, professor of history of science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, will give a talk entitled “Galileo: Hero or Heretic.”

Alan Marcus, ISU professor of history, said Lindberg is “probably the foremost historian of science in the Middle Ages in America.”

Lindberg has written numerous books on science in the Middle Ages.

He will speak at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3, in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.

Both Croce and Lindberg have won several grants from the Templeton Foundation for their work.

The remaining money from the grant was given to David Wilson, who has taught “The History of Science and Religion” since 1977.

Wilson is currently on leave in Edinburgh, Scotland, working on a project on 18th century Scottish science, Marcus said.