Teams will compete during Ag Week activities

Laura Baitinger

Iowa State’s College of Agriculture will celebrate Ag Week with scheduled events every day this week.

The college will be highlighted for the university and community, Minde Jo Hibma, chairman of Ag Week for Ag Student Council, said.

Hibma said Ag Council wanted to get more clubs involved within the college to sponsor activities. This year a new point system is in place where participants will earn points for their clubs. The club with the most points as a percentage of their membership will receive an award.

“We want to involve and interest a wide variety of people,” Hibma said. “This is a good opportunity to have fun with students in other clubs within the college.”

Stacia Piggott, president of Ag Council, said students should get involved with the activities to meet students who they would not usually see.

“These activities will not take a lot of time and will be a good study break for students,” Piggott said.

During the week, farm equipment will be on display south of the Campanile. The Ag Systems and Technology club has arranged for three tractors, two bailers, an auger wagon, a sprayer and a floater to be exhibited.

About 24 club teams and one faculty team will compete in a volleyball tournament sponsored by National Agri Marketing Association (NAMA) Monday at the Forker building beginning at 6 p.m.

On Tuesday students will prepare for job interviews. Rob Meade, representative of GROWMARK, Inc., will speak on interviewing tips at 6 p.m. in Agronomy 2020.

More than 90 students are scheduled to participate in the formal practice interviews with industry representatives. The event is organized by the Ag Business Club and Alpha Zeta.

On Wednesday an ag panel will discuss “Back to the Farm: Challenges and Opportunities.” The panel will consist of John Baker, director of Farm On; Brian Weber, recent graduate involved in a family farm; Shannon Fesenmeyer, representing the Iowa Ag Development Authority, and Roger Bruene, ag career services director.

Hibma said the Farm Bureau Club chose the forum topic to provide information to people interested in returning to their farms after graduation. The event will be held at 7 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Students will have the opportunity to go on a hay ride hosted by the Ag Education Club and the Farm Operations Club on Thursday. Rides will begin at 6 p.m. at the Ag 450 Farm. Hot chocolate and refreshments will be available.

The “Celebration of Agriculture” banquet on Friday will serve as a wrap-up for the week to recognize the clubs in the college. There will be awards and recognition for the clubs that participated in Ag Week activities. Hibma said all students and faculty are invited.

A motivational speaker will also address the crowd. Collegiate FFA is sponsoring the event. The banquet tickets are $12 and are available in Room 23 Curtiss. The banquet will take place at the Scheman Building with social hour beginning at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m.

Prior to the ISU football game on Saturday, the Agronomy Club and Block & Bridle are hosting a tailgate with hamburgers, chips, dessert and drink. Tickets are available for $2 from Room 1126 Agronomy or Room 119 Kildee. Food will be served from a tent in the stadium parking lot from 11 a.m. to kickoff.

Students will celebrate at an all- ages dance at Hunky Dory’s Night Club, 300 S. 17th St., on Sunday. Students are encouraged to dress in costume with a gift certificate awarded to the best dressed. The dance will cost $3 and is sponsored by the Dairy Science Club, Ag Business Club and NAMA.