Ag Week ’97 deemed a success at Iowa State

Laura Baitinger

The College of Agriculture’s Ag Week ’97 was deemed a success with large participation from a variety of students, according to the president of the Ag Council.

“The attendance during the week was spectacular,” said Stacia Piggott, a senior in dairy science. “The attendance at the events shows the leadership in the College of Ag and that people really care about being involved.”

Eric Hoiberg, associate dean for academic programs, said the week brings very positive attention to the College of Agriculture while celebrating the importance of agriculture to the state. The week’s activities were excellent, he said.

“This was a way for a lot of student organizations to come together for a focused event that builds collegiality among students and organizations in the college,” Hoiberg said. “We really appreciate the time and efforts of the students.”

In the contest between the clubs to encourage participation, National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA) earned the most points. Clubs earned points when they sponsored events or their members attended events.

Along with students, the faculty showed their support of the college by participating in activities, Piggott said. The faculty formed a volleyball team for the tournament and also attended events throughout the week.

Hoiberg said Ag Week has continued to grow, building more events over the last few years.

“The momentum of this year’s events will ensure a successful Ag Week next year,” Hoiberg said. “Hopefully, we can keep adding more new events.”

In the volleyball tournament Monday night, more than 120 people competed on 18 teams. The Ag Business Club team won the competition, while the Horticulture Club team took second. The teams from Farm Operations and Ag Education placed third and fourth.

Students worked to improve their interviewing skills Tuesday night with mock interviews. A record 80 students interviewed with 13 industry representatives.

Piggott said the students who attended looked well-prepared and handled the event very professionally. She also said the guest speaker gave good advice on interviewing.

The Ag Panel discussion, “Back to the Farm: Challenges and Opportunities,” attracted more than 120 people Wednesday evening.

Piggott said the panel offered helpful advice to students who are making decisions about their futures in farming.

Two hay wagons of students participated in the Hay Ride Thursday night. The ride went well and even included a hay fight, said Dave Hommel, co-chair of the hay ride and a senior in ag studies.

Hommel said the ride attracted many new students and non-ag majors who had the opportunity to enjoy refreshments and socialize.

In its first year, more than 90 people attended the formal banquet Friday night, which Piggott said was the highlight of the week.

Piggott also said he hoped the event can continue next year with more sponsors.

Nearly 120 people tailgated Saturday before the ISU football game. The hot chocolate was especially good, Hoiberg said.

The turnout for students was high for the event’s first year, Piggott said.

Ag Week closed Sunday night with more than 150 students of all ages dancing at Hunky Dory’s Night Club, 300 S. 17th St.

The winners of the costume contest were a group dressed as the Dukes of Hazzard.

Hommel, who attended several of the week’s events, said the week was a success.

“It was the best Ag week experience I’ve had in my four years here,” he said.