Don’t be placing blame without facts

Laura Luiken

There are a few things that you just have to do before you graduate from Iowa State.

You need to suffer through touch-tone registration, go campaniling, force your way to class through some Iowa snowdrifts and attend an ISU football game.

Even though I am not a hardcore football fan (sitting through the entire Super Bowl last year was a major feat for me), I decided that it was time that I bought a season ticket, and I checked one of those things off my must-do list.

The day of the Oklahoma State game, I was pumped and ready to cheer on the Cyclones. I proudly donned the cardinal and gold and headed to the game. As the mob of students and fans around me eagerly waited for the game to start, I could feel the excitement and anticipation in the air. The game was a close one, and overall, I had a blast.

Only one thing about the afternoon bothered me — the disrespect that the student body expressed toward ISU President Martin Jischke. At the point in the game when he was introduced, I started to clap without even thinking about it.

I found, however, that many of the students around me did not feel the same. Instead of clapping or just standing silently, these individuals chose to boo, yell negative comments and make unnecessary gestures.

I was embarrassed, not just for myself, but for the student body in general. I don’t even want to imagine how this immature outburst was viewed by alumni and other fans. These students were probably outnumbered by students similar to myself, but these students do reflect on the rest of us.

I am not trying to be Dr. Jischke’s personal cheerleader, but I do have a great deal of respect for the man. I do not agree with every single decision he has made, but I try to remember that he is only human.

Being president of this university brings with it an enormous amount of responsibility. Jischke is held accountable for his decisions by the student body, the media and by the general public.

These groups often have very different agendas, and often what is good news to one group is exactly what another does not want to hear.

In just the past year, Jischke has been faced with a large number of very serious problems. The murder at Veishea shocked the student body and the community. Not everyone agrees with the idea of Veishea going dry, but it was obvious that something had to be done.

While still struggling with that issue, Jischke was faced with another possible loss of life. A student placed his life in Jischke’s hands by threatening to stop eating until his demands were met.

Even if you do not agree with how Jischke handled these and other situations, is chanting disrespectful comments at a football game a positive way to express your disagreement?

This expression of disagreement lies in the lack of understanding that exists on campus. Students often place the blame on Jischke or the GSB without understanding all the facts and circumstances surrounding a problem. Placing blame is much less time consuming than actually taking the time to consider all the facts.

We do learn by example, so it really is no surprise that we are so quick to pin the blame on groups or individuals other than ourselves.

Our society is quick to blame the media or the government for the environmental, economic and social problems that exist in our world today.

How are any of these problems going to be solved if no one takes the time to look for a solution?

It is about time that we start to shoulder some of the blame ourselves. This may mean that we have to hold ourselves accountable for the problems that exist and search inside ourselves to find the answers.

If no one takes the initiative, then eventually we will have no one else left to blame.

What will we do then? If you disagree about a decision that has been made, you do have a voice.

All you have to do is take a step away from the crowd and express yourself in a responsible way. It may take some time and effort, but eventually your voice will be heard.

Laura Luiken is a sophomore in English from Webster City.