Genital warts on the rise at ISU

Jessica Stamp

More than eight million people under the age of 25 have a sexually transmitted disease, according to the American Social Health Association (ASHA).

The American College Health Association reported the most common STDs on college campuses include chlamydia, genital herpes and the human papilloma virus (HPV), better known as genital warts.

Dr. Rebecca Fritzsche at the Student Health Center said she is seeing an increased number of students with HPV on the Iowa State campus.

According to Planned Parenthood, about one million Americans are newly infected with genital HPVs each year.

There are more than 60 different types of HPVs. Warts and other symptoms can remain in someone’s system for life, she said.

“Every STD is easier for women to catch,” Fritzsche said.

Fritzsche said this is not due just to anatomical differences in the female, but because women are usually on the reciprocal end.

“In the receptive situation there’s a pooling of sperm,” Fritzsche said.

Anal sex is considered a receptive situation. The vagina and the anus are the areas in which affected sperm can live for 48 hours.

“Because of their anatomy, women are more susceptible to STD infection than men are,” ASHA stated.

The STD Hotline states one anatomical reason women are more susceptible is that the vagina is lined with mucous membranes, on which the virus attaches. Women also have more tissue exposed to the virus.

Betsy Wentzer, nurse practitioner at Planned Parenthood, disagrees with the idea that women are more susceptible than men.

“As far as getting an STD, I think men and women are equally susceptible,” Wentzer said.

According to the ASHA, as many as 85 percent of women infected with chlamydia show no symptoms. Conversely, only about 40 percent of chlamydia cases in men are symptomless.

Complications from STDs that are either treated or untreated tend to be worse in women, according to the ASHA. The virus can spread into their fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix.

STDs can cause ectopic (tubal) pregnancies, premature delivery, cervical cancer and pelvic inflammatory disease, which can lead to infertility.

Pregnant women also face the risk of passing the STD to their child through the birthing process, which can lead to permanent impairments in newborns.

Fritzsche said a small number of babies develop HPV on their vocal cords, which can cut off the airway passage.

Men face complications from STDs that may lead to infertility and cancer.

Wentzel said a common misconception among women is the idea that being in a relationship with one person is safe.

“When you have sexual relations with that one person, you must keep in mind the other partners that person has had in the past,” she said.

“One of the reasons that students frequently contract an STD is that in their socialization and enjoyment of an evening they fail to use necessary protection because of the effects of alcohol,” Mary Engstrom, health education supervisor at the Student Health Center, said.

“Alcohol clouds judgment, and one can end up in bed with someone they would not invite to lunch if they were sober,” Engstrom said.

Wentzel stressed people need to use protection when having sex.

“The more partners you have and the less often you use condoms, the greater the risk,” Wentzel said.

Information is available through Planned Parenthood, Student Health Center or the National STD Hotline at 1-800-227-8922.