An equal chance

Danielle Heselbach

I was greatly distressed to open my e-mail and find a letter from a friend of mine. This letter created a wave of revulsion and terror as I read through it.

I was informed in great detail that a student is on a hunger strike on your campus. My first thought was: why would a student need to go to such extreme measures to have his voice heard? Secondly, how could an administration be so unsupportive and cruel to let such an action occur?

After reading the letter in detail, I was disgusted. I cannot believe the insensitivity that is rampant on your campus.

How could you, each and everyone of you, turn your heads as a young man starves himself for justice, equality and equal oppurtunity?

How could you not speak for the basic freedoms all people should receive?

Must you be reminded that your first responsibility lies in providing an equal education for all students on your campus?

My proposal is that each of you look at the privileges you were born with, especially all you white men. You should realize who raised you, who suppported you and what objects were given to you. Realize you were never beaten because of your skin color.

You are allowed to love whomever you chose. Think of your well-furnished house, well-fed children, your car, television and spouse.

Now imagine you are black, Asian or Latino; your ten-year-old daughter has just been raped violently by a group of white teenagers.

You are struggling to pay the bills for a rat-infested apartment. Imagine for ten minutes what smells surround you, how tired your back is from working 60 hours a week and how you never have silence.

If this seems like a just and happy life to you, then your ignorance and intolerance is beyond reproach, and you are truly a damned individual.

If you can find outrage, disgust, sympathy or even a common experience, I urge you to take that feeling. Make it grow. Reach out and demand that no one should live like that — that ALL people deserve an equal chance.

No one should have to starve to be heard. Your ignorance and apathy kill people every day. Don’t let Allan Nosworthy be another victim to it.

Danielle Heselbach

University of Colorado at Boulder