Relevant Christianity

Jeremy Rounds

I challenge you to look at your life. Are you satisfied with it? Are you at peace with yourself? Do you really feel you are a good person? I do. I own virtually nothing; my car is over 15 years old, my dorm room is nearly bare except for art work from friends and myself, and I do not have tons of friends.

Most who know me would say I should be unhappy. I am too shy just to go up and meet new people, so therefore I do not get many dates. My grades at ISU are excellent, but not because I am smart; rather, I work hard for them. My life seems like one of those that demand alcohol and drugs to escape its wrath.

How do I deal with my many problems I come across in my life? I look to God and His never-ending love. He heals me and many other Christians. I could site many Biblical verses and interpret them, but that is not necessary.

There is no need for me or anyone to do everything discussed in the Bible and believe in everything in the Bible, because the Bible discusses events in their own contexts.

The Bible is filled with stories, in fact, it is one long story. What Christians must believe is the central premise of the story — man sinned, so God sent Jesus as a gift to us, all of us, if we chose to believe. Also, by being Christian, the Bible tells us we are saved from the wrath of Satan and Hell. It’s as simple as that. We just have to believe in the obvious.

So now you may seek my proof that the Bible is correct. I am not here to do that; I think well-versed Christians, such as Ted Wlazlowski (a personal friend), who have been Christians for years and are teaching others, will do a much better job. Instead, I will discuss why Christianity is the only way, based on my life.

I will go back five years, when I was in high school. I had one of my rare girlfriends in high school, and when we broke up, I went into a deep depression. Eventually my life got better, because I became involved in an anti-drug group and met a new girl, escaping near suicide.

During my freshman year in college I got deeply involved in Ouija Boards. Several of my friends’ lives and my life, again took a down-turn. Again, I was abandoning God, and instead I was placing my faith in the spirit of the Ouija.

I entered into a new romance relationship my sophomore year of college. In some ways, my life again improved. My friends and I successfully abandoned the Ouija, and all of our lives have improved. Under influence from my girlfriend at the time and a good friend of mine back home, I joined Campus Crusade for Christ a year ago.

At once I seemed at peace with my life, and in the last year, I have lost the relationship I had for a year -and-a-half, but it seemed right. It seemed God made us both realize we were not meant for each other. I have not become depressed at losing this girl, but rather I am a stronger person, knowing God has a mate picked out for me, I will be patient.

Since becoming a Christian, my life has changed in other areas as well. Some friends who do not even know much about Christianity say I am much less temperamental and have a better attitude about life. People who don’t know me come up and talk to me.

I enjoy the simple things in life, like hiking and camping, without alcohol and drugs, because I am at peace with myself.

I have also turned others to Christianity, and I am working on others. Last year, I helped turn a starving soul at ISU around. A student I know was nearing suicide due to problems in school. I convinced him he needed God and the Holy Spirit in his life.

Now he is happy and has the best romantic relationship in his life. This did not happen on its own. As a Christian and friend, I led him in the direction he needed. With God’s help, I heard his problems, and I became a good friend. Saving another human from suicide as definitely righteous.

I challenge you, Carmen Cerra, David Hahn, R.F. Heynis and others who do not believe, to look at your life and see how much it satisfies you. You say not everyone is Christian, but I say everyone should be.

If Christianity can improve my life in such remarkable ways, it can do the same for you, too. And guess what, to be a Christian, you do not have to be anti-gay, pro-life, a killer of bulls or disapprove of Nine Inch Nails.

Hey, I am a Christian, because I believe in God and Jesus with all my heart and soul. I also believe gays have rights, I believe women have the choice to do what they wish with their fetuses, and I love Nine Inch Nails.

Jeremy Rounds

Senior

Community and regional planning